• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

van wrap and design questions

ftmrc

I have wrapped a couple of cars, quads, and several other things but I'm about to take on a full wrap on a van. I assume you should print in tiles that go from top to bottom on the sides of the van?

Also on the design end, I work in photoshop and every other job I did I was able to design 1:1 scale at 72-150dpi. This job is different, due to the size. I have pro vehicle outlines software and have opened the van up in illustrator and it is 1/20th scale. What is the best way for me to design the graphic 1:1 at 72dpi or at another scale?

Thanks.

Sluggo

I assume when you say 'van,' you're talking about, say, a Ford Econoline or something along those lines. We usually treat the front quarter panel and the door as separate panels, then run long horizontal panels from the rear of the door to the rear end with about a .5" overlap. The bottom panel is installed first so that the top panel overlap "shingles" over the top edge of the bottom panel. If you end up doing vertical panels, install from rear to front, producing the same "shingle" effect.

As for the template, if you have to work in Photoshop, you can always copy and paste the template from Illustrator in PS and enlarge it 2000% before rasterizing—of course, you'll want to create one PSD for each side due to the size. When in PS, I always go at 72dpi 1:1.

One thing that will speed up the transfer of templates into PS is to first expand strokes in AI and then 'unite' the resulting paths so that the whole piece is one composite path filled with black. Copy and paste into the PSD as a shape layer with a black fill so that there's no waiting for PS to rasterize strokes coming from AI.

Sluggo

I was also going to bring up the unreliability of Pro Vehicle Outlines, Artstation, MR-Clipart, etc., templates... Anyone who has ever tried to use those for any more than mocking up knows that you have to be very careful. As Norm says, "Measure twice, cut once."

dlpoling

Bad Wraps

I suck at illy but pretty good at photoshop. the bad wrap templates work sweet. just to damn spendy. Im glad I bought them but their somewhat limited in vehicles.

dolce05

make your own templates by measuring the van. best advise I can give you is GO VISIT THE VAN. A carpet guy isnt going to take the customers info and bring x amount of sq ft of carpet to a job. He will visit the location and MEASURE HIM/HER SELF! Also if the vehicle is used, there can very well be after market moldings added, different mirrors, all to which if a letter or number ends up in the wrong area of a design can make the install and entire job Gar-BAGE!!! dont be glued to your chair like alot of designers I know. Go get yourself a tape measure and use it OFTEN!! good luck!

GypsyGraphics

make your own templates by measuring the van. best advise I can give you is GO VISIT THE VAN. A carpet guy isnt going to take the customers info and bring x amount of sq ft of carpet to a job. He will visit the location and MEASURE HIM/HER SELF! Also if the vehicle is used, there can very well be after market moldings added, different mirrors, all to which if a letter or number ends up in the wrong area of a design can make the install and entire job Gar-BAGE!!! dont be glued to your chair like alot of designers I know. Go get yourself a tape measure and use it OFTEN!! good luck!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ftmrc

hinging in the center and transfer tape

I have also heard of "hinging". Is this necessary on a van if I do panels from top to bottom? Is hinging basically removing a middle section of backing paper from the center of the tile and starting in the middle working up then down to bottom?

Would transfer tape be necessary on a complete van wrap with full panels (no cutouts) or would it make vinyl more stable on the install?

Thanks.

Malkin

Generally transfer tape is not necessary if the vinyl has been laminated. Paper tape doesn't conform.