• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Variable data in InDesign?

CES020

We have InDesign and I think have opened it 3 times and those 3 times were just to look at examples of what you could do with it.

However, I have the need to do some variable data work that I need to save the output to supply to someone. I did a job last year that had a ton of names on it, the files were supplied by the customer and they told me they did it in InDesign using variable data.

I've looked through a lot of tutorials on Lynda.com but I can't seem to locate anything on setting up and using variable data with InDesign.

Anyone know of anywhere to learn how to do this, or willing to provide a quick overview?

Thanks!
Steve

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Go to the InDesign help files and search the keywords "data merge". It's similar to the text merging capabilities of Word.

jiarby

We use variable data (they call it PrintMerge) in Corel all the time to make trophy plates and engraved nametags. Works in Corel just like in MS Word. I think everyone uses the same code!

cgsigns_jamie

Works great for business cards!

Have the customer type everyone's information into an excel spreadsheet (that you set up) and use the DataMerge feature to place it into the document. That way if there's any incorrect phone numbers or misspelled names you can't be at fault.

CES020

GOT IT!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone! I couldn't find it because I was searching for help using the wrong terminology!

Data Merge.....data merge.....data merge :)

Thanks! It works like a champ and was just what I was looking for. I was familiar with it on Corel and have used that numerous times, but this job will require a little more flexibility and I'd like to stick with the Adobe product for this one since our customer is also working with Adobe products.

Thanks again!