• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Variable Data - need help again

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Hi gang. I have another variable data road block. We are making 2,000 numbered decals. I've gotten the artwork set up correctly, and imported the spreadsheet - this worked except for one major thing - the text reads vertically and VW will not format it like that. So, I created a box for each digit in the artwork, and made a new spreadsheet with a VD field for each digit. I thought this would work, but now Versa Works hangs when I try to add the spreadsheet. It did not before. In theory, I should be able to have 20 variable fields - why is a measly 5 hanging the RIP? I'm sure I'm not doing something correct with the spreadsheet.
Any insight would be appreciated :)

netsol

val,
did you format your column on the spreadsheet?
even if it is all numeric, it is generally better to make it text

(this rears it's ugly head with leading zero's for instance

Boudica

I changed it to text (good call) and, I think there was something funky from the original spreadsheet the client sent. I had to redo it anyway, and this time I copied the cells with the info, and pasted them into a new spreadsheet. That worked!
Thanks netsol :)

Boudica

I have another spreadsheet question... I'm contour cutting these, no way can I do all 2000 at once. I can do about 150 at a time. Can I just make new sheets in the spreadsheet - or do I need to save a new file for each set of numbers?

netsol

i have to be honest with you, i really don't USE excel very often.
i would think if you make individual sheets, you might have trouble navigating or specifying the range you want in versaworks

the data exchange questions come easy for me, but someone who is actually a power user will give you a better answer