• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Variable data photo path question

J

john1

I have a customer who is setting up the variable data file in excel for a large label run i am doing for them.

I have everything set up in colums and the labels will have different photos on each along with text, My question is how can i have the customer put the file path to the photos on their computer and have it show up fine on my computer when they send me a zip folder with the photos?

C:\Users\John\Desktop\Photos\Jellyfish.jpg is a example on my computer

Their file path would be different beings they are using their own computer, which would throw the variable data off on the photos

Any help?

boxerbay

have them set it up in a folder on their desktop. receive there zip. copy photos to your desktop. look at their path and compare to your path. then do a find and replace in excel to update your file. find theircomputer/images/ replace with yourcomputer/images/

we usually do our vdp in indesign. it will output a pdf ready for print.

Mike F

Use a relative path, have them just set the path as "Photos\jellyfish.jpg", then just stick that folder in the same folder as your print files.

MikeD

find and replace/ copy and paste: the part of the path relative to your pc, would be fastest for a 1 time job. Send a template for the rest that's relatively easy for them to populate, and send it to them on a cheap thumb drive that they send back to you.

J

john1

Found a solution, Thanks guys.

I had a friend help me write a line of formula who is a master at excel that will allow me to put the photo path once the photo folders on my computer into each line with a simple click and drag down.