• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VDOT approved sign

VicoDrive

Someone came to us today about creating a couple signs for their business but they need to be VDOT (Virginia) approved. Not having much luck finding the requirements for something like this. I would think it would have to be reflective atleast, pretty sure Ive seen materials in the Fellers catalog that said they were DOT approved also. What about sizes and the metal, etc?

J Hill Designs

[h=2]What are VDOT's Sign Standards?[/h]VDOT has adopted the Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Sign information, including placement, is listed there. The MUTCD also refers to the Standard Highway Signs book which provides specific details, such as color, size, height of letters, etc.
The 2003 edition of the MUTCD is online.

Correct this is what I do all day. Is there a code for the sign? Is it a standard sign? Is it Highway or roadway? Aluminum should be .063 or .080 aluminum. Radius corners, 3/8" holes for mounting to posts. 3M, Orafol, AveryDennison, nikkalite, all these companies make reflective sheetings that meet the standards for minimum reflectivity. You have to know which standard you need to meet though. Is it Type I, II, III, IV, V sheeting. Each will have different restrictions. If you want to email me erich@aconezone.com I can help you figure it out.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The full 2009 edition is also online with the 2012 revision updates. If they require the signs to be compliant you will need to do a bit of reading. They are VERY VERY specific about everything from typefaces, colors, sizes, reflectivity requirements, materials, etc.. Attached is a good example.... this is just one of the many hundreds of layouts. I'm talking kerning, line spacing, border width, etc, etc, etc, etc..... your tax dollars hard at work here! lol

Attachments

• shs_2004_2012_sup 128.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 115
they are making it seem a lot more complicated then it is. Send me what sign you need and I will send you the file to print or cut it. Exact to the size you need it. Then it's just getting the sheeting done. Personally if you don't stock this stuff it's going to cost a lot to buy a roll. I would find a local Traffic Control shop and buy the piece of aluminum you need already sheeted.

VicoDrive

Correct this is what I do all day. Is there a code for the sign? Is it a standard sign? Is it Highway or roadway? Aluminum should be .063 or .080 aluminum. Radius corners, 3/8" holes for mounting to posts. 3M, Orafol, AveryDennison, nikkalite, all these companies make reflective sheetings that meet the standards for minimum reflectivity. You have to know which standard you need to meet though. Is it Type I, II, III, IV, V sheeting. Each will have different restrictions. If you want to email me erich@aconezone.com I can help you figure it out.

Hmm, sounds like its going to be more to it than we are really qualified to do....grrr! I know it suppose to be signs directing delivery trucks to different ends of the building or something like that. This is a start though, looking into seeing everything involved before committing to it

VicoDrive

they are making it seem a lot more complicated then it is. Send me what sign you need and I will send you the file to print or cut it. Exact to the size you need it. Then it's just getting the sheeting done. Personally if you don't stock this stuff it's going to cost a lot to buy a roll. I would find a local Traffic Control shop and buy the piece of aluminum you need already sheeted.

I know with Fellers, especially with the more expensive stuff, we can buy sheets by the foot instead of rolls. Thats probably what we would be doing. I almost feel thats the easy part. Getting the proper metal, proper sizing, acceptable layout, etc... will take a little more looking into than putting everything together. This is a start though

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Trust me. Not that big of deal. When you get all the info feel free to email me and we can discuss. It's not that hard.

Listen to this guy..... for these if you are not doing them much its easier to sub it out or at minimum order the blank premade and you just apply the lettering to it. Alumapanel, Grimco, and a few other suppliers sell ready to go blanks already sheeted in the right type of reflective.

Listen to this guy..... for these if you are not doing them much its easier to sub it out or at minimum order the blank premade and you just apply the lettering to it. Alumapanel, Grimco, and a few other suppliers sell ready to go blanks already sheeted in the right type of reflective.

Thank You. That was something also I was going to add if you emailed me. Grimco makes .063 and .080 blanks that are drilled in the correct area and with the correct radius for whatever size you choose. Then you can choose the sheeting. They will also do borders for you and it's all to MUTCD stadards. Then all you have to do is create the center (which wont be to any standards) and slap it in the middle of the sign. It sounds like they might be more worried about getting the appropriate thickness and sheeting rather then the actual design being MUTCD compliant. letme know.

You need to follow MUTCD Standards, VDOT requires .1" Alum, you can get away with .080 around here. PM me if you need assistance in the setup of the file or have questions. also need to have the Highway Gothic Series Font. If you need a post you want to get 2" Breakaway punch post with a install sleeve (Harbor Sales out of MD has them they deliver to Richmond) i have done lots of highway signs in the DMV.....you can try Payne Signs out of Bealeton VA for low qty of 3M sheeting, like High Intinsty or Diamond Grade, Translucent EC.....etc like someone stated it could be expensive to the purchase the approved materials for the DOT. You Also need 1.5" Rond Corners. They are also picky on the border spacing size and all the little details they spec. Although i dont think this project will be the picky, its when your doing new neiborhoods and such where they "inspect" everything.

VicoDrive

You need to follow MUTCD Standards, VDOT requires .1" Alum, you can get away with .080 around here. PM me if you need assistance in the setup of the file or have questions. also need to have the Highway Gothic Series Font. If you need a post you want to get 2" Breakaway punch post with a install sleeve (Harbor Sales out of MD has them they deliver to Richmond) i have done lots of highway signs in the DMV.....you can try Payne Signs out of Bealeton VA for low qty of 3M sheeting, like High Intinsty or Diamond Grade, Translucent EC.....etc like someone stated it could be expensive to the purchase the approved materials for the DOT. You Also need 1.5" Rond Corners. They are also picky on the border spacing size and all the little details they spec. Although i dont think this project will be the picky, its when your doing new neiborhoods and such where they "inspect" everything.

We generally order from Harbor Sales also for supplies, not sure if it comes from MD or not. I just looked at their stuff and they have DOT approved reflective blanks precut to different sizes, not too expensive either. I think I need to get more information from the client with what they want now, like about what size, what text, colors, etc... and go from there. Ill definitely be asking you guys more questions if we end up going for it. Thanks! :)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A good alternative series of fonts are the Roadgeek ones.... Pretty much identical to the expensive Highway set. :wink: