• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VE LXI software... filling outlines

JKADesigns

I have a bunch of .dxf clip art... specifically Vector Art Mega Art Collection. I want to put together some multiple color cliparts. I got a palm tree done, but without filling in my clipart, it's hard to see how it'll come out. :banghead::banghead:Working with VE LXI software, I've been "converting to outlines", and then I can change the colors of the lines, but for the life of me I can't FILL the graphic with color, the same color that I'm going to cut it on. I was messing around with a cowboy graphic today, but it was so complicated that I couldn't see how it' was going to come out.

So... I went to Coreldraw 12 to try to do this, kinda got it done, imported into VE LXI to cut and it went all to hell again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim Doggett

I have a bunch of .dxf clip art... specifically Vector Art Mega Art Collection. I want to put together some multiple color cliparts. I got a palm tree done, but without filling in my clipart, it's hard to see how it'll come out. :banghead::banghead:Working with VE LXI software, I've been "converting to outlines", and then I can change the colors of the lines, but for the life of me I can't FILL the graphic with color, the same color that I'm going to cut it on. I was messing around with a cowboy graphic today, but it was so complicated that I couldn't see how it' was going to come out.

So... I went to Coreldraw 12 to try to do this, kinda got it done, imported into VE LXI to cut and it went all to hell again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Make sure in CorelDRAW that you're converting outlines to objects. Then export to LXi

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
DXF format is not so hot for what you're trying to do. EPS is. If you have a legal copy of the Vector Art Mega Collection, you will have EPS files. If all you have is DXF, then you have an illegal copy and don't deserve any help from anyone who cares about artist's rights.

JKADesigns

Oh, I had a EPS disc as well... something about the VE LXI I had just wouldn't work with EPS files. .DXF was the fastest way to get it done.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Oh, I had a EPS disc as well... something about the VE LXI I had just wouldn't work with EPS files. .DXF was the fastest way to get it done.

No rudeness intended but just to be clear ... VE LXI thrives on EPS and struggles with DXF as do many programs. I create and sell vector clipart and am a licensee of Vector Art images. Their EPS will work much better in your software. Whatever problem you are having with using the EPS is what you should be seeking an answer to.

The main thing to understand between the two formats is the inherently superior quality of EPS. It is made up of Bezier curves which enlarge without loss of quality and require a comparative small number of nodes to define a shape. DXF is made up of straight lines and arcs which often are not continuous. A circle in EPS requires four nodes. In DXF it requires hundreds, and, when enlarged will begin to show flat spots. Further, when shapes are not closed loops one will often see problems with them accepting fills properly.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
DXF blows unless you like stop sign shaped circles. As for your problem it sounds like your artwork is built of segmented lines with strokes. I hate strokes but alot of print based artist work with strokes to save on layers. Without looking at the art files your working with i am afraid your going to be SOL on help here.

You could email me a file and I can look at it for you. PM me if you want.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
FWIW DXF files created and exported from Illustrator do not have straight segments for curves. The segmented curves must be a characteristic of files created from CAD type programs. I have a handful of customers that request DXF files. When I reopen the DXF files in Illustrator, all of the curves remain exactly the same

signage

the segmented curves are from the poly-line setting, if the are using poly-arc they should remained curves and not segmented lines!