Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VE Panther 40" vinyl cutter serial only...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by blackicefx, Apr 3, 2007.

1. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I purchased a 40" vinyl express Panther vinyl cutter about a year ago. Due to school, I've had to put my signmaking on a part time basis, using simply my 15" roland and a 15" summa. (This of course limits the size of the jobs I could do!) Well, now the semester is nearly over and I have dusted off my Panther for full time use. However, the VE Master+ software that I use has a USB security dongle and per the vendor is only licensed/configured for the Panther to connect via a serial cable... The problem is, the laptop I just purchased does not utilize a serial port. I tried a converter (serial to usb) but it doesn't seem to want to recognize the Panther. The vendor is telling me that I would have to buy a security dongle that is configured for a usb port. Does this sound right? Am I stuck or can I get around this?

Thanks,
    Matthew
    BlackIceFX

I know there was a previous post regarding something similar but it didn't touch on the security dongle not recognizing a usb connected Vinyl Express vinyl cutter.

Tags:
  2. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    sorry to double post, but the security dongle for usb usage costs $299 and I'd really like to avoid having to purchase another dongle...

3. stip

stip New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Try turning off the firewall on your computer. I tried 3 different adaptors and the only problem was my firewall was interfereing with my VE Master software. Now all 3 adaptors work fine, I have 2 extra now if ya need one.

4. John G

John G New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    USB to serial adapters are known to be problematic with dongles and other devices that really want to talk directly to the serial port (and not through a software bridge).

The easiest way to work around the issue is to give the dongle exactly what it wants - a real serial port! You don't mention whether your laptop has a PCMCIA or ExpressCard slot, but check out the links below. One of them should do the trick for you, and at a price a heck of a lot cheaper than a new dongle.

PCMCIA = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839104008

ExpressCard = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839150003