• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector Logo Locating

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know most people here are aware of Brands of the World, etc, but if you cannot find it there - many times vector formats of logos are available on the internet embedded in PDF files.

First, find out the website of the company that you're looking for.
Then, do a Google Search. Type in something simple (usually part of the company's name).
Next, scroll down to the bottom of the first page of results. There is a little link down there to "Advanced Search", click it.
On this page there is a field where you can enter the website of the company.
Put it in there (ie: theirwebsite.com), then go down a few more fields to the "file type" field, and change that from "any format" to "Adobe Acrobat PDF".
Then click the Advanced Search button below.
This will return all PDF files on their website and you can browse through the results for the artwork you need.

If no results come up; go back to the advanced search page and remove the website and just try searching all of Google for a PDF with your keywords, but you may have to refine your search terms.

Hope this helps some of you out!

xxaxx

That's how I do it too ... but I find so many that are either password protected or the pdf is vector but it has a low res jpg in place for the logo. But it does work about 50% of the time or so I would guess, which is much better odds than brands of the world or any of the other logo sites. :tongue:

To save time though you can just add the tags instead of going through advanced search ...

strongco filetype:pdf or site:strongco.com filetype:pdf

jfiscus

Rap Master
That's how I do it too ... but I find so many that are either password protected or the pdf is vector but it has a low res jpg in place for the logo. But it does work about 50% of the time or so I would guess, which is much better odds than brands of the world or any of the other logo sites. :tongue:

To save time though you can just add the tags instead of going through advanced search ...

strongco filetype:pdf or site:strongco.com filetype:pdf

There is(was) a way around editing password protected PDFs, but it has been a while since I encountered one... it involved placing the PDF into another program (like illustrator or Indesign), then exporting a new PDF...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
also keep in mind BOTW does not always have the official logos. Many are very poorly drawn versions. AFAIK they don't check art for quality or accuracy. Check them thoroughly before using

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
And even pdf's at the company's website can have autotraced or inaccurate files. I have run into many instances where this is the case.

J Hill Designs

Haha I would feel shady doing that, easier to just ask the client for a vector file. :Big Laugh

shady if used in a shady way, perhaps. I dont feel it shady if Im just using the customers file for the customers project, and my contact cant seem to locate the correct file, or whatnot.

Steve C.

also keep in mind BOTW does not always have the official logos. Many are very poorly drawn versions. AFAIK they don't check art for quality or accuracy. Check them thoroughly before using

:thumb:
I downloaded a few Coca Cola logo for some old Coke signs I was restoring for
my sister-in-law. Some were really ragged. unusable.

iam808

I find that corporate annual reports have perfect art, with PMS colors and aren't often password protected.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Flexi (at least 8.6 anyways) ignores PDF protection..... if you get a protected one open it in Flexi first then just export an ai or eps file. :wink:

Good tip op - been doing this exact thing for years. Quite often faster than trying to get something official through corporate channels.

nikdoobs

Haha I would feel shady doing that, easier to just ask the client for a vector file. :Big Laugh

I wouldn't feel shady at all. If its a customer using their own logo. You must have good clients. Most of the people I deal with have no idea what a vector is to begin with, much less the ability to locate their own files and e-mail them to me.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know this is an old thread, but just thought I would share my preferred new method of extracting art from a password protected PDF file.
FoxIT PDF reader is free and will open a password protected PDF and allow you to print it to another PDF file (which isn't password protected).
You can then open the new PDF with your program of choice.

I can't think of how you could feel shady for getting better artwork from a customer. Most customers have no idea what a vector file is or how to provide you one.

I had a two-month long problem with replicating some artwork for the Navy that had to match exactly what is on the other vehicles, and a previous vendor had created that artwork.
They searched and searched and searched and we ended up redrawing it....
After the project was finally ready the customer said that he was sorry that he couldn't provide me a vector version and how much of a pain it was, and that the previous vendor only sent him some unusable .plt file that he threw away... I told him that was exactly what I needed to begin with! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I think Fred shared this years ago;

Type "logo name" filetype;pdf in the search box and it will search for pdf's. Obviously replace logo name with the logo your searching and put it in quotes if more than one word.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I think Fred shared this years ago;

Type "logo name" filetype;pdf in the search box and it will search for pdf's. Obviously replace logo name with the logo your searching and put it in quotes if more than one word.

With a : not ;