• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vectorizing a image, Is this "ok"?

S

scarface

Hey guys, I have a customer who wants some t-shirts designed up for his car organization. He wants to put a photo of a original car who started it all pretty much in his genre but i am confused on the legalization of vectorizing it.

He simply said to go to google images and type in X and see if i could get that on the back of the shirt. I can take a photo of the particular model of car he wants and vector it so it's a single black and white vector image but would this be "legal"?

There is nobody in the organization that has one of these so it's not like i can ask him to take a photo for me. I couldn't find anything on any of the istock photo sites or similar ones either to purchase.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinylman

If you are going to take a photo, or scan a photo and then personally or have Vector Doctor create a vectorized piece of artwork? I believe you will NOT have any problems. You are creating original artwork using the photo only for reference.

No harm, No foul.
Just my 2¢

S

scarface

If you are going to take a photo, or scan a photo and then personally or have Vector Doctor create a vectorized piece of artwork? I believe you will NOT have any problems. You are creating original artwork using the photo only for reference.

No harm, No foul.
Just my 2¢

The customer was wanting me to google image search a certain model vehicle, and vector it and use it for his screen printed shirts.

So by taking a image off there and making it a vector, i'm fine since the photo was a raster and now i converted it to vector using my software tools?

TheSnowman

I'd say no, but I don't know about this subject enough. It's like converting something copyrighted from a jpeg to a gif and calling it ok.

G-Artist

I am not going to advice you except to say you are treading in dangerous waters with what you propose.

I urge you to Google the terms "copyright transformative" as well as "copyright derivative" and then decide if the risk is worth the rewards.

Mike Jackson

Take a photo of HIS car and have that digitized. I'd also say you are asking for trouble using any photo off the Internet unless you pay the royalty fee. And of course, anyone can advise you of all kinds of legal issues, but if you get caught, it is you on the hot seat and not any of the people dispensing advice on any forum, including me. The old saying that if you modify something by 10% or 20% is a myth that can cost you big time. Why risk it?

M. Jackson

S

scarface

I will say it again, nobody in his organization including him has this particular vehicle so that's why i cannot take a photo myself or get him to do the same.

The car is from Japan and was made back in 2002 so it's not a car your going to find locally.

I told the customer it's illegal to use any images you don't pay for and we are moving forward with something else.

Thanks!

Vinylman

Scarface:
There are a number of very high quality photos on the internet of the "BUTT UGLY" rice burner you requested photos of. {I found several with only a two minute search}

Is the problem more that your customer can't or won't spend the money to have quality artwork created for his T-shirt project?

If that is the case, {as is usually the underlying reason} have him do the research and supply the artwork to you.

S

scarface

Scarface:
There are a number of very high quality photos on the internet of the "BUTT UGLY" rice burner you requested photos of. {I found several with only a two minute search}

Is the problem more that your customer can't or won't spend the money to have quality artwork created for his T-shirt project?

If that is the case, {as is usually the underlying reason} have him do the research and supply the artwork to you.

I can find plenty of photos online but as someone said, it's probably copyrighted

G-Artist

I can find plenty of photos online but as someone said, it's probably copyrighted

Not PROBABLY, it is!!

From the moment a photo is taken it has copyright protection.

You'd be surprised how many folks will assign copyright to or grant a
non-exclusive license to a photo for free or next to nothing (or perhaps
a bit of a barter).

Sometimes all it takes is a promise of accreditation (8 point type) on the
product

Ask and you may receive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is all you have to read..... go no further. They all make mention of it.

rice burner.jpg

Joe Diaz

This reminds me of Shepard Fairey VS AP. Google it if you haven't heard about it. He claims his artwork is "transformative" If he wins this case, I wonder what that will mean whenever anyone wants to vectorize anything the find on the net.