Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vectorizing In Flexi

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by captainron19, Aug 31, 2005.

1. captainron19

captainron19 Member

May 11, 2005
    captainron19
    Was looking for Pizza Clipart (Posted in another area of forum) - Customer who wants me to make the graphic for his Pizza Place Window just emailed me a bitmap of a little pizza guy that he would like to have. This is my first time attempting to vectorize somethign using Flexi Pro 7.0

Every time I go to Bitmap, Vectorize, then do an auto trace it does not come up well at all. I have tried different settings in there. Can anyone offer any insight?

Graphic is below

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Try the Bezier vectorize method instead, mucho better results in my experience.

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    What you have there is a bitmap that is too small to get a good autotrace from. Just not enough data there to work on. I tried it using Flexi Bezier autotrace and it was barely passable.

My suggestion is to send it to The Vector Doctor and for a few bucks he will do you a good quality version and email it back to you.

4. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Pizza Pizza (piece of pizza) One pizza guy. Or at least a good foundation for you to work from. Illustrator 7.0 ai

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  5. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

This is easy! take the image into Photoshop.

select: image> mode> grayscale.
    Then: Image> Image size 6"x100% at 600 ppi.
    Next: Filter> Blur> Gaussian Blur 11.4pt
    Next: Image> adjustments> threshold (play with slider)
    Next: Filter> Blur> Gaussian Blur 5pt

Save as *.tif and import into Flexi and auto trace

I know it will work because I just did it. it took less than 5 min and looks good

this always works for me it just takes a few times doing it to get it down

6. LedderHed

LedderHed Member

Aug 27, 2005
    All I did was import the raw image into flexi and File/vectorize/bezier, and it looks great just the way it is. But I do like the idea of pulling it into photoshop, if the image is hard to pick up outlines.

7. Got it. Send me email to steve@signmansigns for a vectorized copy. No charge. Merry Christmas.

8. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    even though the immediate need seems to have been solved, I will offer another method.

Derf has a good suggestion that I have also used on occassion. Freds suggestion is great also... just tried vectordoctor the other day & was extremely satisfied with fees, timeframe & quality...

but this image is a perfect example of the kind of artwork that can easily be made scan-ready if it's too small. I'll take Derf's word that with a little blurring & refining it was usable, but if it wasn't usable... just print the fuzzy worthless file about 3" or 4" tall & then trace it by hand. This idea is more difficult on very exacting geometric shapes... but this one would be a piece of cake, you will then have crisp lines (& a wee bit of satisfaction for the rare use of a pen or pencil these days) & this drawing will vectorize much better then the original with 5 minutes of low-tech help from you.

9. #1 SignPro

#1 SignPro Member

May 7, 2009
    sacramento
    Try Inkscape.org. Free to download and quick and super clean artwork. Ive been in the Biz
    for 20 years and used to use Derfs method quite a bit, but ever since I was turned on to Inkscape I rarely do anymore.

10. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    The trace in Inkscape is real good maybe even better than Illys !!!!!!!!

11. trik

trik Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Yuba City, CA
    Couldn't agree more, I hand trace all the time, just makes the job more fun.

:thumb:

12. signgirl71

signgirl71 Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Deltona
  13. igneous

igneous Member

Feb 8, 2009
    at the finish, it's signgirl71 for the win~!

"i'd like to thank msoft for all their cheesy, easy to recognize clip-farts"

14. signgirl71

signgirl71 Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Deltona
    Doing this for so long I think I can recognize microsoft clipart from a mile away - LOL!

15. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    This thread is almost 4 years old.

16. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Maybe he's still looking for it. I would really love to see a HOW-TO from Lederhead on how he got that to trace great in Flexisign. I can't get Flexi to trace high resolution art worth a squat, much less a thumbnail like that.

17. signgirl71

signgirl71 Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Deltona
    I use flexi all the time for vectorizing - I wouldn't use anything else. I have other shops come to me all the type to vectorize stuff. In fact, just did some this morning. Tools are easy to use and it takes just seconds to clean-up what flexi doesn't. Now if they would just make flexi have those nice drop shadows that Corel has......
    As for this thread being old - I noticed that too. Don't know how it got back up to the top but if he's still lookin for that clipart then somebody really needs help-lol!

18. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    His client is almost ready to take his business elsewhere.