• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Cleaning

SignStudent

I've been trying to decide what I should buy to prep vehicles. I've seen people mention rapid prep, xylene, prep sol, denatured alcohol, and several others. Is it all just personal preference or are different solvents better for different things?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We buy a chemical from our auto parts supplier's paint department. It is "Wax & Grease Remover" in a gallon can; Advance/Smyth/etc should sell it also. This chemical seems to ride the middle ground in-between xylene & Alcohol. It does great work of removing wax & adhesive (on removal jobs) without fear that it's going to damage the paint or take forever to clean the surface.

We also use Rapid Tac, Rapid Prep, Alcohol, orange peel degreaser & more; you really need them all for different jobs/surfaces to make things go quick & easy. Cheap lint-free paper towels/rags are where it gets tricky to me.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We buy a chemical from our auto parts supplier's paint department. It is "Wax & Grease Remover" in a gallon can;

RM's version is called Pre-Kleano -- works well, but will start to attack paint if left on too long. We always used it to prep vehicles for vinyl...