• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle door lettering 2 sides

artray

:design:I am a bit puzzled as to the standard direction for creating italic 2 sided door lettering like 'Sheriff or Police' Some vehicles I have seen have the letters facing/leaning towards the rear when viewed from the left side of the vehicle and facing/leaning forward when viewing the right side of the same vehicle. Other police vehicles I have seen have both sides of the vehicle with the same rear facing italic lettering. Hope I have explained it to everyone's understanding. Just want to know which way is correct. Sample pictures attached of two different vehicles with forward facing letters on one side and rear facing on the other.

Attachments

• dcso-impala.jpg
    dcso-impala.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 142
  • dcso-patrolcar.jpg
    dcso-patrolcar.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 136

Ken1f

I recently did the citys new police car. I choose to lean both to the rear of the car. I've seen the same with race car numbers, sometimes one each way and sometimes both to rear.

xtreme signs

I do several different police and sheriff cars , and some customers like them both leaning back and some want one leaning one way and the other leaning the other way. It is just want the customer wants.

Mosh

Vehicle door lettering 2 sides, never lettered just one side...

We do want the customer wants Typicaly on racecars they slant to the front or back so I guess both sides are different. Most cop cars we do the slant is the same on both sides.

OldPaint

you can do this with SOME LETTERS not all!!!!! 1 or 2 numbers on a stock car.....depends on the numbers also
if you make a NUMBER lean to the right, when its placed on the LEFT side of vehicle, same number on the RIGHT, WILL LEAN TO FRONT....as it should be.
side of vehicle got nothing to do with how NUMBER WAS CREATED.
now with a single number you can change the lean on the right side so it leans toward back of vehicle SAME AS IT DOES ON LEFT SIDE.
usually not a big deal. DOUBLE DIGITS.... now that is another story, same with TEXT!!!!!
ALL UPPER CASE not to much a problem, BUT cap 1st letter and LOWER CASE the rest...........can really look weird.

GypsyGraphics

Totally the client's choice. Include both options on the approval/sign-off so the client has a good visual. Make sure their choice is clearly marked, so you don't get that dreaded head tip and hmmmm when they the completed job.

That's a terrible feeling (getting the head tip & hmmm) even if you tried to convince the client they were making the wrong choice.

artray

Totally the client's choice. Include both options on the approval/sign-off so the client has a good visual. Make sure their choice is clearly marked, so you don't get that dreaded head tip and hmmmm when they the completed job.

That's a terrible feeling (getting the head tip & hmmm) even if you tried to convince the client they were making the wrong choice.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. In my limited (2 years) experience with signs a lot of customers don't know (or don't care) about those types of things but look to me as 'The Expert' that 'should' know what is correct.
Another thing I have discovered with this issue is the choice of fonts also make a big difference with the visual outcome. With my software (FLEXISIGN PRO) adding a backwards slant to a naturally forwards italic font looks yucky.

heyskull

If there is less than a 10 degree slant you will get away with it.
But slanting to the left is a big NO NO in my books.

SC

Custom Bob

Other than race cars, I always slant to the right on anything else.

The only thing I see drastically wrong is on the left side of the Police car the "Dallas County" is way to far forward. It's centered under Sheriff on the right side of the car and looks good.

artray

Other than race cars, I always slant to the right on anything else.

The only thing I see drastically wrong is on the left side of the Police car the "Dallas County" is way to far forward. It's centered under Sheriff on the right side of the car and looks good.

I agree. BTW the photos I posted show two different cars and they are internet collected pictures and are not something I designed/created.

Craig Sjoquist

consistent face forward or rear but same on each side ..like when shading always push toward main traffic right or left on a 2 sided sign ...or one sided

of course this is something I do ... what i see from most vinyl shops is not anything like that .... good way to tell they where not schooled properly