• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Paint Oxidation - Please Help

Brands Imaging

10 Years in the business and I STILL don't really know what to do about this. We get these vehicles in from time to time that have horrible oxidation and we tell customers that they need to find a body shop or we're able to make it work by really cleaning them really well when it's not that bad but it's frequently an issue.

The problem I'm having is that when you have a 2,000.00 wrap and someones already "on the fence" sending them to a body shop for a 1,000.00 repair kinda messes up the whole job..

Any tricks I have not thought of? All the goof off and rapid remover in the world doesn't help.

LarryB

We use Ghost Off and love it. Spray on and let sit for a couple minutes and then agitate with a brush. Use a pressure washer to hose off and all the oxidation is gone. Just did a couple buses with heavy oxidation and it worked great.

decalman

10 Years in the business and I STILL don't really know what to do about this. We get these vehicles in from time to time that have horrible oxidation and we tell customers that they need to find a body shop or we're able to make it work by really cleaning them really well when it's not that bad but it's frequently an issue.

The problem I'm having is that when you have a 2,000.00 wrap and someones already "on the fence" sending them to a body shop for a 1,000.00 repair kinda messes up the whole job..

Any tricks I have not thought of? All the goof off and rapid remover in the world doesn't help.

Good off is for goofs.
The body shop thing is an expensive idea.
People aren't made of money.

Try using some fantastic, or awesome.
My buffer guy Jeff can get that oxidation off too.
PS have customer sign release forms on this baby. Cover your butt good.
You don't need a lawyer ( yet) but just draw the form up covering every conceivable liability.

If customer trys to get rough, be prepared to overwhelm him in argument .

( I'm experienced as you can see

Rob Ivers

We have called mobile trailer wash companies to acid wash the vehicle. Not very expensive and works great. Then we just use standard vehicle graphic installation cleaning solutions and techniques. I have only done this with box trucks and trailers, not passenger cars. When it comes to those I say if you can't afford a good paint job, you can't afford me.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We have called mobile trailer wash companies to acid wash the vehicle. Not very expensive and works great. Then we just use standard vehicle graphic installation cleaning solutions and techniques. I have only done this with box trucks and trailers, not passenger cars. When it comes to those I say if you can't afford a good paint job, you can't afford me.

Off topic here but are you the 'Rob Ivers' who's face I see on the side of my 1997 6 volume set of Professional Vinyl Application VCR tapes I purchased from Gregory Inc.?

d fleming

Eagle One car wash is great for getting oxidation. Did a trailer last month that looked a thousand years old. You would have thought a milk truck exploded when we rinsed it. Then buff it to death. I have a body shop next door to me and if that doesn't do it a slight wet sand will. Been known to wet sand a door to get rid of ghosts on dump trucks. Don't know that I would do it on my caddy.

2B

Eagle One car wash is great for getting oxidation. Did a trailer last month that looked a thousand years old. You would have thought a milk truck exploded when we rinsed it. Then buff it to death. I have a body shop next door to me and if that doesn't do it a slight wet sand will. Been known to wet sand a door to get rid of ghosts on dump trucks. Don't know that I would do it on my caddy.

+1 for wet sanding when dealing with vehicle ghosting