• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vehicle prep

what do you guys all use to prep a vehicle before applying graphics? i have been using the rapid tack stuff and was speaking to another sign guy this afternoon. he says he uses xylol and then wipes that down with alcohol solution. is this method any good?

J

john1

I've always used rapid tac solution for vehicle graphics (not wraps) and window graphics. Has worked for over half a decade here....

sghobbies

Alcohol here. Sometimes we also use denatured alcohol, like in the recessed areas around the fenderwells of an Express van.

so what about xylol? i've used that to clean the dirt/grease/oil from the chain area of the motorbike before a few times, never on paint work though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Xylol or xylene is probably alright to use on some tough areas, but you have to be careful over using it so as not to get high on it or your graphics might go down a little crooked.

Si Allen

Xylol is what they use for brake cleaner!

If you use it on a repainted vehicle that was not catalyzed ... you will be buying a new paint job!

:Oops:

S

SignTech

? ... as far as cleaning prep, yes pretty much...I mean if there is tacky residual on the vehicle I have used goobegone or like products from FELLERS...but even after that, I have always finished with alcohol. I have tried Rapid Tack, just never became a fan ...

AUTO-FX

Go to an automotive paint supplier and ask for a gallon of pre-cleaner. This will be a wax and grease remover that is safe for paint.
-or-
Try here
Look under "brake and solvent"
Supersolv is a good choice.
Hisolve is also a good choice, stronger though so test repainted surfaces first. i like this stuff because it removes tar and junk easily and is also an excellant adhesive remover.
( They take credit cards and they will ship UPS )

BobM

I wash twice with Rapid Prep and a third time with Rapid Tac II. No application or paint problems even at 20 degrees this winter. I switched from clean rags to unprinted, cheap paper towels.

Last edited:

cdiesel

Cleaning is a three step process.

1) Use a heavy duty solvent cleaner that can cut through tar, grease, adhesive, etc. This can be Xylol (common brand name of xylene), most adhesive removers (we use Rapid Remover) work well. This step can be skipped if there is no heavy soil present. When prepping a vehicle for a wrap, even if the vehicle looks spotless, we will still hit he wheel well areas and rocker panels, as there is always tough dirt in those spots.

2) Use a detergent cleaner to remove any remaining light soil. Any sort of a soap will work well. 3M PrepSol works well for harder to remove dirt. Regular old dish soap works too. This step can be substituted with a car wash.

3) The final wipe should be done with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. If you're getting dirt on your towels, you probably don't have a clean enough surface for a final wipe yet.

This is the *correct* way to clean & prep a vehicle. Most shops don't do this..