• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle stripes

mac_man_luke

Hello all

Im looking at cutting some stripes for my car.

Most likely going to be matt black, was thinking of using 3m 180C matt black but just wondering if graphics such as stripes should be laminated?

I presume it would make it easier to install and eventually remove?

also should 180C be installed wet or dry?

:thankyou:

Mosh

Use a good vinyl and there is not a need to laminate, unless you are printing them. If they are just matte black use some matte finish film (3m, oracal). No reason to print one color stripes, unless they are a custom color or you are new to the industry.... in that case good luck!

luggnut

180c should always be applied dry. and for stripes i wouldn't laminate ,unless the lam would be what made it flat or matte. i might use transfer tape though.

mac_man_luke

thanks

Thought that might be the case

transfer tape will be needed as they have a few bits that need to be kept together

Will be my first try at applying anything to a car (we mostly either just print and cut decals or apply to basic things eg A frames etc)

trimitbyrich

Honestly I have found a much easier way to apply the stripes without mask on them. I do a ton of Rally Stripes. I use the wet method and use a shower squeegee. They are a bit wider, very soft and flexible, and the results are absolutely perfect every time. I wet the surface first, then peel the stripe off the backing paper, wetting it down the whole way. If you put a drop of baby shampoo in the water you can slide it in position then squeegee out the water. Without having any pre-mask on it, it makes it really easy to see if you have any specs of dust under it and it makes it really easy to take them out if there are. Youd be amazed at how much faster the stripes go on and flawless results.

auto accents sc

We also install the rally type stripes wet without mask. If you have to use paper mask and install wet, it helps to wet it before removing( it lets go easier) if you have trouble with it tacking up at ends, spray straight alcohol on the sticky side. it will evaporate quicker.