• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Striping Contour

gplough

I need to precut and match the edges of this stripe and send them to a body shop guy. Does anyone have any tips on recreating the curves at the seams? I use Illustrator. I suppose I could physically trace the edge of the door, scan it, vector it, bring that into the design, etc. Didn't know if anyone had any tips.

Thanks in advance!
Greg

20161012_121846.jpg

myront

CorelDRAW is best
put pre-mask over it then make a rubbing, take the premask off then apply to a flat board (pvc) and scan that in and redraw? or take a good photo and retrace

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
this is what knifeless tape is made for

Seems like it would be pretty hard to get the small fillets consistent especially on those 1/4" outer stripes.
I'd opt for the rubbing scanning & redrawing - or just a hand cut off the rubbing if it is only the one piece.

wayne k
guam usa

gplough

Hand Cut

I wanted to have it pre-cut so that I could give it to the auto-body guy (he's an hour away) and have some confidence that they were going to get a good result and be happy with my work. I'm probably OCD... They ordered black ones from Ford as a alternative but the customer didn't really want that. They sent me pics of the OEM ones that ford sent and they appear to require trimming anyway so maybe that's what they do by default (hand trim) and I'm wasting time thinking about it. I'll just do them with straight edges and let them figure it out.

Factory ones:
20161014_160403.jpg

702 graphics

I wanted to have it pre-cut so that I could give it to the auto-body guy (he's an hour away) and have some confidence that they were going to get a good result and be happy with my work. I'm probably OCD... They ordered black ones from Ford as a alternative but the customer didn't really want that. They sent me pics of the OEM ones that ford sent and they appear to require trimming anyway so maybe that's what they do by default (hand trim) and I'm wasting time thinking about it. I'll just do them with straight edges and let them figure it out.

Factory ones:
View attachment 116815

The notch in the transfer tape is a door seam. I would scan that and trace it.

ATD Signs

Hand CUT

Really man, how long have you been in this business. All it is, is 1/4 stripe 1/4 space probably a 2 an 3/8 stripe,1/4 space and 1/4 stripe. Just do it by hand. The biggest issue is trying to match the factory ford colour

S'N'S

Really man, how long have you been in this business. All it is, is 1/4 stripe 1/4 space probably a 2 an 3/8 stripe,1/4 space and 1/4 stripe. Just do it by hand. The biggest issue is trying to match the factory ford colour

I think you misundstood the OP, he's supplying only to a panel shop and they are fitting, not him.