• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Template Questions

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We have just entered into a licensing agreement to publish a vehicle templates collection and are at an ideal point to modify and reshape both the files and the documentation into whatever we want and that will be of the greatest usefulness to users of the collection. As such, I like to get some feedback from as many template users as are willing to take the time to answer some questions here.

1. Which template collection(s) do you use?

2. What program(s), including version number, do you use them with?

3. When you open or import a template from your existing collection or work with it, are there any reoccuring problems that you encounter?

4. What do you like most about your templates?

5. What do you like least about your templates?

6. Does your collection include a printed user guide, a PDF, or no documentation?

7. Does this documentation meet your needs?

8. What improvements would you like to see in the documentation of your template collection?

9. What improvements would you like to see in the template files themselves?

10. Comments and suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Fred,

We have used the DAL for years.

The biggest drawback is that it is mostly geared towards commercially used vehicles, but that is a minimal issue. The only other trivial thing is that the templates are mostly listed identified by make and not model.

What we like about them is a very long list, but here is the short one:
- Their accuracy is second to none.
- The files are all available in EPS, AI, CDR.
- They include most variations of body styles.
- The printed catalog makes finding what we need a breeze.

ChiknNutz

Although I personally have not used templates, I am interested in doing so. One thing that I would advocate is to offer single templates for sale as opposed to being forced into the entire collection.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Digital Auto Library….. the guy from Canada
  • Not anymore
  • Nothing in particular
  • See item above
  • Yes, a complete
  • Yes
  • I’m used to it, no change needed
  • None, I’ve used it so long…. I’m used to it

• A lower cost on the entire package would be nice.

and congratulations on the contract :thumb:

* A lower cost on the entire package would be nice.

Yup!! :Big Laugh :Big Laugh

The nice thing about their package is that if your license is less than 12 months old they will make any custom templates that one may need, free of charge.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To clarify:

My license is not with DAL and, while I am impressed with my licensor's files, he has no connection with DAL or Mr Clipart.

My license includes the right to sell individual files through my Express Clipart website, which I will most certainly be doing.

The work being licensed covers only vehicles manufactured from 2004 to 2007 and is, therefore, not as comprehensive although it will be added to each year. So it will likely be priced at about the same or less than DAL currently charges for their annual upgrades.

Direct answers to my questions will be of the greatest help from those responding that own and use a template collection. Try copying and pasting my questions into your reply and then insert your answers.

Bennett

1. Digital Auto Library 2006

2. Adobe Illustrator CS and Signlab 7.1

3. No

4. I like having different views of the vehicles ... Good variety ... Support for DAL is good

5. There are templates missing from the book for DAL, but are on the CD (the rep from DAL helped me find the missing vehicle) ... Some templates are not very accurate

6. Yes

7. Yes

8. Instead of a printed guide, having software to browse the templates would be nice (with a search engine or series of drop-down menus, with preview)

9. More accurate, include windshields and back windows ... A DVD instead of 3 CDs would be nice

wildside

Pro Vehicle Outlines

Corel Draw X3
Illustrator 10

3. When you open or import a template from your existing collection or work with it, are there any reoccuring problems that you encounter?
occassionally, but i think it is actually an internal conflict so will not discuss

having them

the fact of how they are created, with line segments overlapping so many times, it can be a pain to delete parts to get to what you are actually wanting

6. Does your collection include a printed user guide, a PDF, or no documentation?
no guide at all, open and pray you clicked the right one

need documentation

8. What improvements would you like to see in the documentation of your template collection?
if i had it, it would be nice to have them listed under year/make/model/trim

named properly for easier find, top views are hit and miss, some need it and some don't

10. Comments and suggestions? being able to purchase on an as needed basis would make a world of difference, i jsut don't need a ton of helicopter, planes and zambonies...LOL...

hope that is what info you are looking for

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops:I can't even read...........

2. ANA Designart 3.5 and 4, Adobe CS2 [soon 3] and Flexi 7.6v2

Checkers

1. DAL

2. I've used them with just about every commercial sign making program available from 1997-2001. I now use Corel Draw. Still stuck at version 12 though.

3. With DAL, never had a problem other than older gerber software wouldn't allow you to scale up 2000% Not a problem wi/Corel.

4. Accuracy and the ability to modify the file/vectors, small file size.

5. Not "photo-realistic" like newer programs, Sometimes difficult to find exact file on CD

6. Includes printed user guide. I wouldn't want it any other way.

7. It's good enough, but I would prefer a "normal" sized guide though.

8. Actual measurements of some key areas or reference points.

9. Not much really

10. I've been very happy with DAL, great product and better service, and I haven't had a reason to look elsewhere. So there would have to be a very good reason to switch. The individual templates may be the reason.
I really don't have any use for passenger vehicles, except for fleet vehicles.

You're welcome!

Checkers

doublesky

Pro Vehicle Outlines 07

Illustrator CS and Photoshop CS

Haven't had problems importing. However, have had some issues on the newer vehicles where the template is incorrect... they had gone off of the previous year when the body style changed.

What I don't like is that the way all the vehicles is organized is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen. No alphabetical order or logical way of organizing when trying to find a vehicle in the catalog.

Yes, printed user guide and also a "cheat sheet" that tells your the square footage of the side/back/front.

Yes, meets our needs.

The organization issue needs to be addressed in the catalog.

mike gregson

DAL 2006

Gerber Omega 2.5.1

No

Having them. Multiple views. Customer service is great. Christian will provide, at no cost, any template needed that is not included in your current version.

Having to get a full upgrade every year just to get maybe one template that I need.

Yes, printed catalog

Yes

The catalog works fine for me.

The template files work fine for me.

Checkers' remarks under "comments" is very accurate. About 90% of my work is emergency vehicles. It seems to me that it would be nearly impossible to create templates with details for all fire truck and ambulance vehicles. There are hundreds of them and they change constantly. I find it fairly easy to take Christian’s base templates and modify them to suit my needs. Police agencies use only certain vehicles for the most part. I have some commercial accounts that include vans and pickups. Sometimes it would be nice just to be able to buy only the templates I need instead of having to pay for a full upgrade every year. I have found the DAL templates to be extremely accurate which helps on the occasions when for some reason I can’t physically get measurements. I have used digital photos and prefer to work with the vehicle templates.

I hope this information helps, Fred.

Christian

Hi Fred and fellow readers
Just for Clarification purposes, the most current Pro Vehicle Outlines has a a PDF file with rough square footages for the vehicles (broken down by sides) and the vast majority of templates now carry correct rear window measurements. Also, for several years now, the manual has had a "fast find" guide at the front of the book to help users find their vehicle. Toll-free technical support is always available to help someone find their vehicle quickly.
Cheers
Christian

cdiesel

Fred,

We use DAL and the bad wrap.. Mostly with corel 13, but wraps are designed in photoshop CS2. The organization of the book with DAL is odd to me. As Christian said, tIt's easy to find a vehicle if you and DAL are referring to it by the same name. However, sometimes vehicles are referred to differently. I think it would be easier to find if there were an index with make/model listings.
Everyone's saying they'd like a lower price. We paid $349 for ours (show special), which I think was very fair. The release I have did not have a vehicle I needed. I called, and it was in my email in about 10 minutes.
That said, I think it would be very nice to be able to purchase individual templates. It's not something we would do, but I can see a lot of smaller shops not wanting to fork out the dough for the full versions.

cdiesel

Fred,
I just thought of something simple that makes a huge difference while designing. The bad wrap does not level out the cars like DAL does. It keeps the rake that most trucks have, which makes creating the design a little harder. It would be a good idea to have all of the templates level with the page.

mark in tx

Pro Vehicle Outlines 2007

Adobe CS2, Flexi 7.62

Compound paths always need to be released. Each vehicle view should be its own group.

Measurement accuracy is dead nuts 99% of the time

Vehicle top views are separate.

Great manual/catalog

Yes

Cross reference for same vehicle types, Toyota Corolla is a Geo Metro, etc..

see #3

Single pattern purchase for people without the whole set. Or at least a popular pattern package, -Scion, VW bug, H2, H3 Hummer, Dodge Ram, Ford F-150, Ford Econoline, etc...- maybe 5 patterns for $100.00, something like that.