• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Window Perf

AGinVT

Does anyone have a good go-to 50/50 and optically clear lam combo? We use Clear Focus ClassicVue and CurvaLam and it tends to leave squeegee marks. Not looking to break the bank. Just wondering if there is a better option out there? Thanks in advance.

unclebun

Don't squeegee too hard. But also realize that unless you squeegee so hard you stick the lam to the glass through the holes, after some time in the sun and cooling overnight the squeegee marks go away. We use ClassicVue and Avery DOL1360 Optically Clear.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, you're not supposed to use 50/50 for vehicles. Only buildings.

jwlllpl

This is not a recommendation for product use. It is what I use to explain to newbies as a guideline in the shop. it may help others.

Attachments

• PerfPatterns_Dec2014.pdf
    440.2 KB · Views: 214

Dan360

I don't think ever I've used 50/50 for anything. Also I've had issues with clear focus and moved away from their products.

To avoid squeegee marks use a roller to install, but it's a bit tough to do on a curved car window.

AGinVT

We are trained and have installed many rear window graphics. I am just not 100% satisfied with the Clear Focus product and wanted to know if there was a better option out there.

Gino, I'm guessing you don't do any perforated window graphics on vehicles? Only die-cut graphics?

We use 50/50 on vehicles and 80/20 Contravision on buildings.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah, we don't do any vehicles at all. You guessed right. :doh:

Sorry, I spoke too soon and said it backwards and unclebun pointed that out. I stand corrected. However, I'm not the one here looking for a cheap alternative.

AGinVT

Nah, we don't do any vehicles at all. You guessed right. :doh:

Sorry, I spoke too soon and said it backwards and unclebun pointed that out. I stand corrected. However, I'm not the one here looking for a cheap alternative.
Ha. No, you're one of the full time 101 residents. Is this your job or do you actually have a shop? Not looking for cheap, but also not looking to charge my clients $500 for a window either.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, no shop. Like I said earlier, we don't do vehicles or any kinda signs and unlike you..... we don't namedrop who some of our clients are, but suffice it to say...... we're very busy doing nothing.

My turn : Let me ask you this, if you don't mind. How is it, you have all this hidden talent and high end clients and you came here months ago, trying to figure out how to stop getting squeegee marks, you were told and explained to, what to do and now you're back asking the same question ?? Can't you figure out one of the sign industry's basic techniques after it's been fully explained to you ?? Anyway, present day techniques. So, what do you do full time ?? Look for cheap avenues to service your customers ??​

unclebun

Clear Focus is the best perf we have found. In addition, for vehicle windows, it's available in appropriate size rolls. Big material waste if you have to use a 54" roll for truck windows. Every other brand of perf we've used has really been inferior as far as adhesion, adhesive characteristics, durability, printability.

Squeegee marks are something technique dependent, not material dependent.

If it's wrapping curved windows that is the issue, there is no window perf that does that well. You just have to know when it won't work and not design your graphics to wrap windows that cannot be wrapped.

AGinVT

Clear Focus is the best perf we have found. In addition, for vehicle windows, it's available in appropriate size rolls. Big material waste if you have to use a 54" roll for truck windows. Every other brand of perf we've used has really been inferior as far as adhesion, adhesive characteristics, durability, printability.

Squeegee marks are something technique dependent, not material dependent.

If it's wrapping curved windows that is the issue, there is no window perf that does that well. You just have to know when it won't work and not design your graphics to wrap windows that cannot be wrapped.
Thanks. It is 100% about curved windows. The marks can look pretty rough at the time of pick up even with light pressure. Was just looking for alternatives that might minimize the effect. I try to educate our clients beforehand, but it is a tough concept to convey sometimes. I will probably stick with this combo. Was just looking for feedback.

AGinVT

Nope, no shop. Like I said earlier, we don't do vehicles or any kinda signs and unlike you..... we don't namedrop who some of our clients are, but suffice it to say...... we're very busy doing nothing.

My turn : Let me ask you this, if you don't mind. How is it, you have all this hidden talent and high end clients and you came here months ago, trying to figure out how to stop getting squeegee marks, you were told and explained to, what to do and now you're back asking the same question ?? Can't you figure out one of the sign industry's basic techniques after it's been fully explained to you ?? Anyway, present day techniques. So, what do you do full time ?? Look for cheap avenues to service your customers ??​
Resident big shot who needs to dump on those asking for help. Nothing better to do than poke jabs at someone trying to learn. "Cheap avenues" is a little unfair. We are a 3M shop and use good materials. That being said, most people don't want to spend an arm and a leg on window perf. I don't think the price point I'm at with Clear Focus is "cheap", but to each their own I guess.

Not sure who I name dropped, but good luck with the bullying chief. I come here looking for help from those who know more than I do on certain subjects. Most people are helpful and I appreciate their guidance. Anyway, thanks for the usual condescension Dino.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, not a big shot. Not dumping on ya, either. Sorry you feel that way. You must have a problem, if you feel that way. I'm the one who said something wrong. Apologized and you keep taking jabs at me. Granted, whatever you have to say, is like water off a duck's a$$, but to be called all those names, you've come up with..... it's just amazing. :u rock:

The questions and requests you have, since coming on board here at s101, just amaze me. You sound like a total beginner, who was thrown into a job position and doesn't know a thing about the job. Well, ya know enough to reach out for help, but you don't remain focused. Otherwise, why would you be asking the same question over again, after just a few weeks/months ?? As for the name dropping, just look at some of your old posts and you'll quickly see, all you do is mention clients names like you go out bowling with them every Friday night. See, there's that short retention problem, again.........

Coming here looking for help from those who know more than you, should be quite easy for you. I think basically the whole community knows more than you. Perhaps, I'm not helpful to you, as you come across as not needing any help.

Ya see, when someone comes to a professional site like this, they are asking industry related questions. They seek, they read, they learn and they begin using their new found information. But not you. It's like it goes in one ear and out the other in a matter of minutes. You don't seem to have the capability to retain knowledge. You retain smart-a$$ answers and annoyances, but not knowledge.
So, keep on keeping on and I'll be talking to ya, later on.................................... :thumb:

AGinVT

Nope, not a big shot. Not dumping on ya, either. Sorry you feel that way. You must have a problem, if you feel that way. I'm the one who said something wrong. Apologized and you keep taking jabs at me. Granted, whatever you have to say, is like water off a duck's a$$, but to be called all those names, you've come up with..... it's just amazing. :u rock:

The questions and requests you have, since coming on board here at s101, just amaze me. You sound like a total beginner, who was thrown into a job position and doesn't know a thing about the job. Well, ya know enough to reach out for help, but you don't remain focused. Otherwise, why would you be asking the same question over again, after just a few weeks/months ?? As for the name dropping, just look at some of your old posts and you'll quickly see, all you do is mention clients names like you go out bowling with them every Friday night. See, there's that short retention problem, again.........

Coming here looking for help from those who know more than you, should be quite easy for you. I think basically the whole community knows more than you. Perhaps, I'm not helpful to you, as you come across as not needing any help.

Ya see, when someone comes to a professional site like this, they are asking industry related questions. They seek, they read, they learn and they begin using their new found information. But not you. It's like it goes in one ear and out the other in a matter of minutes. You don't seem to have the capability to retain knowledge. You retain smart-a$$ answers and annoyances, but not knowledge.
So, keep on keeping on and I'll be talking to ya, later on.................................... :thumb:
Too much time on your hands Premium if you're scrolling through my old posts. You are right. I am not born into sign making, but sign shops do grow. The business has more than doubled since I came on as a production guy 5 years ago and we are taking on more. Not everyone can afford a fountain of knowledge like you their payroll. Unfortunate that someone like you is discouraging me from asking for advice.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I went back and can't see where Gino started this one. When I read Gino's first post I thought in my head he got it backwards... no big deal. Awesome Graphics couldn't help but take a jab at him for it.

He's upset that he can't afford good talent like Gino

AGinVT

I didn't jab. I wrote this, "We are trained and have installed many rear window graphics. I am just not 100% satisfied with the Clear Focus product and wanted to know if there was a better option out there.

Gino, I'm guessing you don't do any perforated window graphics on vehicles? Only die-cut graphics?

We use 50/50 on vehicles and 80/20 Contravision on buildings."

Gino wrote this, "However, I'm not the one here looking for a cheap alternative." Shot fired, but I've got to go. And no, I don't need bloggers. I need workers who don't have time to engage in this juvenile sh#t all day every day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Happy hour musta started early today. :beer The village is getting restless.

I have too mush time on my hands, because I remember things, while you hafta go back, read, copy & paste and try to create arguments where none existed. You read things and comprehend about as well as taking the advice from your past threads and utilizing it.

Oh yeah, now that I think about it..... you don't even remember the things YOU say or write. I probably shouldn't be saying this, but why not quit, while you're still ahead.