• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wrap Remover Help

cmcerniglia

Hey, got a full vehicle wrap that we're trying to remove & it's proving difficult. It's all cracked & pretty much been baked on there by the Florida sun. Any tip on getting this crap removed easily? Scrapin it off with squeegees is taking forever.

dwt

Was it laminated? Air release? Lots of primer? Howdy from down the road in Winter Garden.

cmcerniglia

Definitely laminated, though you can barely tell anymore. Pretty sure it's air release, and don't know about the primer. Customer wasn't very forthcoming with information.

dwt

What kind of auto is it? Is the paint lifting? You can go with some chemicals or a zapper. (watch out for the plastic moldings)
Has your client has signed off on a damage waiver. If the vinyl is cracking the finish is going to get banged up anyway.

cmcerniglia

It's a PT Cruiser. The part we're having trouble with is the roof. Don't wanna scrape too much for fear of scraping paint.

We'll be laying down a brand new wrap when we're done.

dwt

If you're going to rewrap just hit it with a zapper. When the next wrap comes off, sand and paint the roof if it looks bad. Especially if it's going for trade in or on the curb for sale.

Mikeifg

Dito on steam machine or a very hot ressure washer. You might be able to call someone up that has a portable one ,it will work.

amw

Longtime Members
Dito on steam machine or a very hot ressure washer. You might be able to call someone up that has a portable one ,it will work.
Yes! They make pressure washers that have water 250 deg. and takes the matterial right off...just be carefull of the pressure you use...1000-1500 psi is plently with the hot water.
(we used to own a pressure cleaning company)

A rental place would prob have one...prob $50-$100 for the day.
(you will need a trailer to get it or a lift gate...unless your superman! lol)

Will cut your work down....but it is messy!

Good luck!
Marsha

btropical.com

A used restaurant supply place allways has a hot steam pressure washer so they can get all the fried grease and cockroaches out of stoves and ovens

GypsyGraphics

Just now walked in from removing old graphics to do a new install...
wasn't a wrap but what a nightmare! didn't realize i was removing a chrome vinyl, till i saw the silver backing. the tough areas where not where the vinyl was still in place but where it was peeling or had fallen off.

Raid Removed alone wouldn't do the trick, but throw in a Mr. Clean Magic Erase sponge and a whole LOT of elbow grease and TA-DA!