Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velvet textured polycarbonate decals

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by Zendavor Signs, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    I am looking for velvet textured polycarbonate decals, similar to the ones Gill Studios sells but this project requires a die cut adhesive - meaning the adhesive will not cover the entire back side. This is required because it covers over an LED light. I do have McLoone as a source, but was seeing if anyone knew of other sources. McLoone's prices and lead time are not the best, but this is a pretty unique product. TIA!

Tags:
  2. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    I use to work at Metal Photo of Cinci, they do this as well, its not cheap either

3. jochwat

jochwat Graphics Department

Oct 15, 2016
    Michigan City, IN
    We've made control panels of polycarb/Lexan material with adhesive applied, and masked off the areas where we didn't want adhesive.

Take a look at the video below -- is this what you're looking for? Not sure if you're looking for the supplies, or someone who makes the end product... We got the materials from Graphic Marking Systems.

4. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Thank you Tammie! I have sent them a quote request.

5. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    This is very interesting. We have equipment (not an Edge) to print them in-house, but the die cut adhesive (or "selective mask") is what stumped me. The video doesn't really go into detail on how that part works. So your actual cut needs to line up exactly with the mask for the clear windows? That seems tricky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    3m 200mp series has options for double sided adhesive with paper on both sides. If you aren't wanting to do them in house, you may try reaching out to your 3m rep to see who is doing this and offers wholesale. Never tried to get a hold of my 3m rep though, doesn't seem too promising.

Attached Files:

7. Glavin_ID

Glavin_ID Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    Jburton is right, we use what we call “sheet adhesive” (almost always 3M), cut out the area that needs to be relieved (selective adhesive). Then apply that to the already printed lexan and do a final perimeter cut. We usually use steel rule dies (due to quantity) to accomplish the adhesive cut and final cut but it can also be done on a flatbed cutter.

8. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shoot me a PM with a photo of the end product/adhesive setup.
    I'm not 100% with you on the "selective adhesive" product, but I think it wouldn't be that hard to figure out.
    I've got an idea how its done already but would have to see photos or a physical sample to be totally sure.
    We make a TON of this style decal for the govt and other large manufacturers so I'd be glad to give you advice.

9. jochwat

jochwat Graphics Department

Oct 15, 2016
    Michigan City, IN
    There's a little labor involved, but this is how it works (simplified version):

- Set up the Gerber artwork, and save two cut files (Selective Mask cut file, and final ContourCut file)
    - Print the artwork onto Lexan
    - Apply the selective mask material to the print side
    - Cut the mask using the Selective Mask cut file, weed out excess
    - Apply adhesive layer
    - Cut the adhesive using the Selective Mask cut file again
    - Re-cut once more with the ContourCut file
    - Now the panels are ready to remove, any die cut holes popped out, and Selective Mask removed.

The Gerber cut files and the sprocket system of the printer/plotter keep everything in place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1