• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vendor for custom shape/design HIP reflective signs

Signed Out

Title sums it up pretty good. Looking for 20+ aluminum signs about 3'x3', white HIP with black text and legend. Would need to be printed, no overlaying as there is pretty fine detail in the design.

Robert Gruner

Title sums it up pretty good. Looking for 20+ aluminum signs about 3'x3', white HIP with black text and legend. Would need to be printed, no overlaying as there is pretty fine detail in the design.
Signed Out,
I would venture to guess that ANY signshop in America with a digital printer could print your graphics for you. White HIP from 3M, Avery, Orafol, and Nikkalite is easily accessible through many resellers.

The real issue is how long outdoors does your account require the signs to last? Typical traffic signs printed on white HIP are rated to last 7-10 years without fading. To be guaranteed that 7-10 year outdoor warranty, you should look to a vendor with a HP Latex 365 printer, running 3M/SAI Traffic software RIP, and printing on 3M white HIP and laminated with 3M clear overlam; or, a vendor with an Avery TrafficJET, printing on Avery white HIP and laminated with Avery clear over lam. Your only other option is a vendor capable of screenprinting your signs on white HIP using very harsh screen print inks.
Cheers

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Second to what he said, but to add........ if the detail is that minute that it cannot be cut, then I'd venture to say that same detail will be lost on high end reflective. Does the customer realize this ?? Generally speaking, it's not much more than words or arrows on those kinda signs. Sure, there are exceptions, but I'd make sure, before I'd print 20 of these, ship them in and have your customer call back and complain that you didn't tell him beforehand of the drawbacks to his request.

Signed Out

Signed Out,
I would venture to guess that ANY signshop in America with a digital printer could print your graphics for you. White HIP from 3M, Avery, Orafol, and Nikkalite is easily accessible through many resellers.

The real issue is how long outdoors does your account require the signs to last? Typical traffic signs printed on white HIP are rated to last 7-10 years without fading. To be guaranteed that 7-10 year outdoor warranty, you should look to a vendor with a HP Latex 365 printer, running 3M/SAI Traffic software RIP, and printing on 3M white HIP and laminated with 3M clear overlam; or, a vendor with an Avery TrafficJET, printing on Avery white HIP and laminated with Avery clear over lam. Your only other option is a vendor capable of screenprinting your signs on white HIP using very harsh screen print inks.
Cheers

Yes we are looking for longevity on these... But Latex? I'm thinking more screen printed or full solvent. I don't think a latex print would outlast what I can do with a roland xj540. Could be wrong though, just never heard anybody claim that the hp latex prints will outlast eco solvent outdoors.

Signed Out

Second to what he said, but to add........ if the detail is that minute that it cannot be cut, then I'd venture to say that same detail will be lost on high end reflective. Does the customer realize this ?? Generally speaking, it's not much more than words or arrows on those kinda signs. Sure, there are exceptions, but I'd make sure, before I'd print 20 of these, ship them in and have your customer call back and complain that you didn't tell him beforehand of the drawbacks to his request.

Yes good point. It's not that these couldn't be cut, just a lot of fine weeding would have to be done. Plus HIP isn't the most fun stuff to work with, and we would be shape cutting the signs with a bandsaw if done in house. So in the long run, much easier and more profitable for us to sub this one out.

Robert Gruner

Yes we are looking for longevity on these... But Latex? I'm thinking more screen printed or full solvent. I don't think a latex print would outlast what I can do with a roland xj540. Could be wrong though, just never heard anybody claim that the hp latex prints will outlast eco solvent outdoors.
Signed Out,
The HP Latex/3M/SAI Traffic printing system, is currently available through Grimco, Montroy, Denco, and 2 others. The Avery TrafficJET system is marketed through Avery. Both offer 7-10 year outdoor warranty for traffic signs printed and laminated with 3M and Avery HIP respectively. Google the warranty specs.