• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm Messy?

byrne

Hi,

We're looking at buying a Versacamm to add to an Epson wide format that's currently in our office.

Just wondering from everyone experience, is the Roland a messy unit. By that I mean does it make a mess either when changing ink, or doing cleans etc. We'd be looking at using original inks, so they look fairly self contained like the Epson we use. Will it sit well in our nice office, or should I find somewhere else to put it?

Also, any fumes to watch out for?

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The only thing that will be messy is emptying the waste bottle. I have seen many of them dropped onto the floor which makes a mostely permanent mess. Other than that, there is no risk of a mess changing the inks or anything like that.

Depending on the size of the room and whether it has good ventilation, you will notice the fumes if you run it for long enough. Usually having a window open next to the printer is enough but if you don't have that option you may want to get an exhaust unit to vent it out doors. I'm not sure if the Rolands have that option but they do on other brands.

ScottB

If you drain the bottle frequently, and carry the bottle with BOTH hands, there's little chance of an "incident".

player

Wiser Veracamm owners will place a metal waste basket under the waste bottle to catch any ink that spills. It can happen when the bottle is overflowing from when it is not regularly emptied, when the line to the bottle comes out of the bottle, and if for any reason ink gets out of the system and spills out the area where the waste bottle is. I have owned one for over 11 years and have only had one minor spill when I forgot to drain the bottle and did some extra powerful cleanings. My new machine reminds me to empty the bottle.

ScottB

I also recommend not to juggle running chain saws while walking across broken glass in bare feet while carrying the bottle of permanent stain...

Ready for a laugh?

The first time I emptied the drain bottle, I poured it into the toilet in my Wife's bathroom. Maybe now is a good time to mention, I'm a home based business. There was a slight discoloration at the bottom of the stool after a few flushes. Eventually, my wife asked what made the "stain". Evidently the wrong answer is "dinner". I finally told the truth after the swelling went down. Since then, I've been asked to use a different method to dispose of the waste ink.

I don't have a metal garbage can, so I put a liner in a plastic garbage can. There's usually "stuff" (vinyl scraps, potato chip bags, Gatorade bottles, etc...) in the bottom of the liner so I don't worry about the ink eating through.

Sign Works

I also recommend not to juggle running chain saws while walking across broken glass in bare feet while carrying the bottle of permanent stain...

Ready for a laugh?

The first time I emptied the drain bottle, I poured it into the toilet in my Wife's bathroom. Maybe now is a good time to mention, I'm a home based business. There was a slight discoloration at the bottom of the stool after a few flushes. Eventually, my wife asked what made the "stain". Evidently the wrong answer is "dinner". I finally told the truth after the swelling went down. Since then, I've been asked to use a different method to dispose of the waste ink.

I don't have a metal garbage can, so I put a liner in a plastic garbage can. There's usually "stuff" (vinyl scraps, potato chip bags, Gatorade bottles, etc...) in the bottom of the liner so I don't worry about the ink eating through.

Do you also think it's OK to dump your used motor oil and anti-freeze down the storm drain?

Happy swimming.

TimToad

Do you also think it's OK to dump your used motor oil and anti-freeze down the storm drain?

Happy swimming.

Most communities have a hazardous waste drop off day a couple times a year at the dump or waste transfer station. The witches brew created by four colors or more of solvent based ink mixed together most certainly qualifies as hazardous waste and should be treated as such by all without any of us here pointing it out.

I'm still not sure what is so "eco" about Eco-Sol ink.

TimToad

Unless you knock over the waste ink bottle, there is nothing messy about these printers.

Having them close by in an office setting isn't ideal - if you can have it in a separate room that would be better. We originally had our Roland about 8' away from our desks and you can definitely smell the fumes when printing heavy coverage all day.

We adhere to a strict no alcohol in the workplace policy, but during a rough day, the three of us can be found hanging around the Roland with it printing a huge chunk of vinyl with my patented SuperBlack box on it and nothing else........ :toasting: