• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm printing crooked...scared to ask...

Tony Rome

I don't know what is causing this but my Versacamm SP540V all the sudden started printing all crazy.
Straight lines are blurry, and they start printing on an angle.

I actually (thought) I fixed this last week when I cleaned the decoder strip, but now it is back.
I am scared to ask what this could be?
Thanks!
20161112_092158.jpg

Attachments

• 20161112_092146.jpg
    20161112_092146.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 458

Tony Rome

So far on searching the web I found two replies...

1. This sounds like a scan motor error. clean encoding strip and test. If still wavy remove scan sensor the one that reads the encoder strip, clean with alcohol, replace and test. if still bad replace encoder strip and the eye that reads it.

Hi have had a similar problem with my roland SC500. It sound like you need to realign the heads. If you can find a service manual online for your printer it should tell you how to do this. It is very easy with the SC-500 not sure about the Versacamm but certainly sounds like out of alignment heads. Hope this helps!

I have no idea where the scan sensor is
and no clue how to realign the heads.
It is strange that last week I cleaned the encoder strip and it worked, guess I will do that again just to see if I can get some work done over the weekend.

BUT I really need to figure out what the long term fix is especially because I have no idea if cleaning the strip is even going to work again.

InkjetAuction

Linear encoder issue.

Flop the strip...if it hasn't already been flopped before. About half of the scale sits in that track, and it's usually in near perfect shape (assuming it hasn't already been flopped).
You'll have to remove the little bracket from the scale, and cut a couple of new holes on the ends for everything to fit in place again. Pretty straightforward if you are looking at it on the table.

Then take a look at the linear encoder sensor. It's behind the head. It straddles the encoder scale.
It can be removed with a single screw. You can clean this in a pinch, but it probably could use a replacement if it has never been replaced.

When you re-install the sensor, be sure that it properly straddles the head and doesn't rub against the scale.

When you have time, replace both parts. Short $

~E

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Definitely Encoder Strip issue.

Easiest is to clean it with a soft non-abrasive cloth and blow off the sensor with compressed air. Chances are it will need to be flipped though. Make sure you do the environmental set up thingy when your done.

Tony Rome

Thanks guys.
I will do as advised (a little nervous and would pay for a video hint hint, lol)
I did clean it again and it was 90% better but still had about a 4" part where the edge was blurry but I think I can use the print (it is about 8' x 4')
Having a hard time finding where the sensor is or what it even looks like.