• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm Printing Help

MikesSigns

I'am looking to print a "Glossy" red and black on a yellow matte printable vinyl. After various print speeds, qualities, and color profiles and some custom stuff, having no luck. Is there a color mgmt.profile that will "dump" the ink to produce that glossy look, if at all possible. Using eco-sol OEM ink. Thanks in advance.

Mike

That is a tricky question... I have had a versacamm since they first came out and we have always gone by the rule of, matte prints on matte vinyl... Glossy prints on glossy... Unless we are laminating them as well anyhow...

I assume you are wanting to do this to give the appearance of spot U.V. Lettering on a yellow background?

I think this would be very difficult, if not impossible, just because of the fact that matte vinyl has a rougher surface then glossy. This surface is what will translate to the ink and make it matte as well... Kinda like the difference in the liners on optically clear laminate and regular laminate.

Have you tried doing a 2 or 3 times overprint? This would be one surefire way to "dump" the ink on the media, but will probably just case a mess unless you can get it to dry quick.

Good luck, and let me know if that works.

MikesSigns

I actually have a sample that was given to me to duplicate, just unsure how it may had been done . Looks like one pass but heavy ink. You can feel the ink edge slightly.

Are you sure they are not screen printed? Or very possible that they are printed with a U.V. printer..

Being able to feel the edge of the ink leads me to believe that they may be screen printed. It's difficult to get that thick ink feel on vinyl with solvent ink because it is designed to actually etch into the material.

Stouse inc is a good company to sub out screen printed decals to, and most the time it's the most inexpensive option when doing large quantities.

Can you scann or photograph the decal and post for reference?

Mosh

NOT, matte material=matte print, gross material=gloss print. Print on matte then print the gloss on gloss material and contour cut it then apply over your matte print.

MikesSigns

Thanks , will check out. They are 8' x 9" decals and a large quantity, Slow for versacamm anyway, Hoping for an answer so I could do between jobs when this machine is idle.

Jim Schneck

Try this combo for bright spot colors;
Media type/Profile - GVWG monomeric calendered
Color Management - Sign & Display

Not quite "Edge Print" spot colord, but close enough for us!!

mark in tx

Wait a minute, you are trying to print on a yellow colored vinyl?

Good luck with the translucent eco-sol ink, but what you can try is setting up a density test print, and make yourself a profile.