• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm printing problem/question? Help!

timfse

Hi,
I'm attempting to print some blue "star of life" for an ambulance, but the print is really banding, and almost looks streaked. I printed some large "maltese crosses", red, and they came out beautiful. Can any body help?
I've tried uni-directional, lowered the resolution, I'm relatively new to printing, and am frustrated beyond.....
Thanks!

Barry

timfse said:
Hi,
I'm attempting to print some blue "star of life" for an ambulance, but the print is really banding, and almost looks streaked. I printed some large "maltese crosses", red, and they came out beautiful. Can any body help?
I've tried uni-directional, lowered the resolution, I'm relatively new to printing, and am frustrated beyond.....
Thanks!

Generally banding is going to be related to our profile/media combination or your media feed calibration.

If your using a known profile media combination that works I would adjust the media feed calibration.

timfse

I was using a roland esm gloss calendered vinyl, with the profile installed. I just put some mattte calenedred vinyl in, changed the profile, and it looks better, but there are two or three light spots on the drawing.

How do I adjust media feed calibration?

Barry

timfse said:
I was using a roland esm gloss calendered vinyl, with the profile installed. I just put some mattte calenedred vinyl in, changed the profile, and it looks better, but there are two or three light spots on the drawing.

How do I adjust media feed calibration?

Press [menu] go down 3 options to Calibration. Do a test print and adjust from there.

timfse

OK. I'll give that a try when this last one prints. I raised the resolution, and this one is "better", but still a light spot here or there.
Nice website you have, too.

timfse

Well, i adjusted the calibration ok. It still looks like vertical stripes, random on the print. Almost like the material is not even. I don't know...

2NinerNiner2

'timfse' - what quality are you printing at? Standard or High? I have had similar issues at 'Standard' that all went away at 'High'; what Barry says is right on too. Also, did you do an 'Environment Match' and / or a recent 'Medium' head cleaning? Last night I was pulling my hair out (not much left, btw!) trying to get a specific dark yellow to come out the way it looked on-screen. After these two steps were performed ....bingo! ...spot-on!

timfse

I've been printing at high resolution, and tried overprint x2. I looks like the ink isn't drying (although to the touch it is). It definitely looks better on matte cal vinyl than the gloss...

Our room temperature here is about 66. Could this be the problem? I did a "powerful" cleaning, and a "environment match", per your suggestions, still just not getting the quality needed without some streaks in it. Did a calibration, and that is right on now.
Any more ideas?
Thanks again,
Your hair pulling friend,
Tim

timfse

Thanks Barry. I just cleaned the machine as you outlined on your site. The only way I've got anything acceptable is to overprint(2). I must be missing something obvious. The machine is 6 months old, and I've never had any problem at all with the quality of the print.
Thanks again for any ideas you may have.
Tim

Barry

Can you post some photos of what your prints look like? I may be able to tell the problem by looking at the prints. Also post the type of media its printed on as well as the profile used and ink type.

timfse

sol pictures

hi,
not sure if I have these attachments or not.
I was using roland esm calendered gloss
Using ecomax inks
Using profile in versaworks: GCVP: ESM
Picture 3 has the flash on, but just to the right of the flash you can see the "streaks" I was talking about.
Thanks,
Tim

sol print 1.JPG

sol print 2.JPG

sol print 3.JPG

Barry

Honestly that looks like a media problem to me. I would pick up a roll of Oracal 3651 and I bet that will solve your problem. Some or Rolands media is known to give inconsistant results.

PS, normally banding caused by the printer or profile is very consistant, media problems are usually all over the place.

2NinerNiner2

Barry - this may be a bit off the exact topic, but it is related if media contamination is the issue here (sounds like it, as you say) I notice that my supplier has the Oracal 3651 and 3951 available in reverse-wound. In your experience, have you found that this is a worthwhile choice when environmental issues are a concern, i.e. a relatively dusty or otherwise contaminated working area? I try to keep it as clean as possible, and haven't had too many issues yet; just wondering if this would help.

Barry

2NinerNiner2 said:
Barry - this may be a bit off the exact topic, but it is related if media contamination is the issue here (sounds like it, as you say) I notice that my supplier has the Oracal 3651 and 3951 available in reverse-wound. In your experience, have you found that this is a worthwhile choice when environmental issues are a concern, i.e. a relatively dusty or otherwise contaminated working area? I try to keep it as clean as possible, and haven't had too many issues yet; just wondering if this would help.

I only use reverse wound banner material. Reverse wound vinyl doesnt work well on a print and cut machine as it can cause your prints to get stuck together when pushing the material back through for cutting.