• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Versacamm SP300V Vacuum Fan Continuously running in sleep mode

VinylX

G'day all,

Our Versacamm SP300V vacuum fan recently stopped working causing head strike. After sourcing another genuine replacemnt fan and installing it, I've now noticed the fan does not go into sleep mode when the printer does. It just keeps on going. It will only stop if I turn off the machine at the toggle switch (noy ideal).

Does any one have an idea why this would be the case?

Any help would be much appriciated

Regards,

Michael

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's a wild guess but maybe the fan is toggled with a transistor that went bad and now is permanently on/open so the fan is always powered on?

netsol

I believe theybtypically use a triac, a switching transistor, of sorts
Follow the fan power cable. It will typically go to a device with a heat sink (a finned piece of metal that keeps the transistor cool enough to stay in operating range

Bungo

I have exactly the same issue. my fans now run at full speed even when the machine is in sleep mode and they will not respond to the commands given through the menu to decrease or turn off. even in service menu. i have changed the heater power board on the right and replaced a fan. Still no luck. I have the next board which is the heater control board. There is only the servo board and the main board left. Any ideas. I have not received these boards yet. Thanks Steve
G'day all,

Our Versacamm SP300V vacuum fan recently stopped working causing head strike. After sourcing another genuine replacemnt fan and installing it, I've now noticed the fan does not go into sleep mode when the printer does. It just keeps on going. It will only stop if I turn off the machine at the toggle switch (noy ideal).

Does any one have an idea why this would be the case?

Any help would be much appriciated

Regards,

Michael
now

damonCA21

I have exactly the same issue. my fans now run at full speed even when the machine is in sleep mode and they will not respond to the commands given through the menu to decrease or turn off. even in service menu. i have changed the heater power board on the right and replaced a fan. Still no luck. I have the next board which is the heater control board. There is only the servo board and the main board left. Any ideas. I have not received these boards yet. Thanks Steve

now
If the other two boards don't fix it my guess would be the servo board. These can go faulty with age and cause incorrect signals to be sent to other components on the printer. There isn't really anything that can go wrong with the fan other than it not working at all, so it will be something that is controlling it that is causing the issue.

Bungo

Thanks.
Ive got the heater control board coming. Im hoping that will fix the issue. The servo boards are £500. i do have access to a main board if i need it. If i fit a servo board i would fit a new main board with it.

damonCA21

Hopefully that will fix it. You don't need to change both boards, you can just change one and see if that fixes the problem, then if not change the other

Bungo

Yes i guess so. I turned it on one day and it made an awful noise. It was the Scan motor that needed changing. Before this it was all 100%. So i changed that and the noise went and it all started up but i noticed that the one fan that was still working was running at full pelt. The other fan had stopped working. It is a SP540V so two fans. Then I replaced the fan, so i had two fans working, but still blowing even when the machine was in sleep mode. So i changed the heater power board. Still the same. So i have ordered the heater control board which i am still waiting for. But im not sure if it will solve it. So then after that there is only the printer servo board and the main board.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I had this issue on an SP-540. The customer and I discussed the options - buy a heater control board and hope that fixes it, which run $125 and up. Or, which is what we did - I installed an on-off toggle switch on the side or the printer next to the control panel and wired the voltage lead to the vacuum fans through this switch. Customer was happy, up the same day and $5.00 in parts. 3 years running and still working fine. A small switch like this is all that is needed:

I believe theybtypically use a triac, a switching transistor, of sorts
Follow the fan power cable. It will typically go to a device with a heat sink (a finned piece of metal that keeps the transistor cool enough to stay in operating range
Since the printer controls these fans electronically, and that circuit is stuck on, change to manual control. It's a workaround, but electronically it's very functional and unobtrusive. Just don't forget to turn it on after you load your media!

Bungo

Hi
Thanks for the repsonse.
The only way i can control the fans is to turn the machine off. at the side switch rather than on the front panel which is sleep mode. They stay on when the machine is in sleep mode.
They are not responding to the menu control where you go to menu, vacum power, then switch from auto to % power to say 30% or 40%. Same in service menu.
I dont know of a manual control other than the power switch to the machine.
Steve

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Please re-read my post. You install an on-off toggle switch on the voltage supply line to the fans. Then you turn the fans on and off manually.

Bungo

OK yes i saw that after woulds and realised. I saw the link to the switch. I understand what you mean because i became aquanted with the leads when i took the fans out. One to clean and the other to change the fan its self. I do have a heater control board on its way. I also changes the heater power board. Thanks for the time you have spent