• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaCamm Sp540V Print and Cut problem

jasonx

I have printed off some stickers. I laminated them. I insert the media back into the printer. It registers the crop marks and starts cutting. Problem is the cut lines are approx 1cm off to the right. When looking at the printer.

The cut lines in the preview of versaworks are in the right spot.

My offset is .25mm

Any advice appreciated.

Brendan

Not to be a smart ass but you really have to read the owners manual to make sure your cutting is lined up. After that, you will learn to overprint the contour cut and get good at lining up the registration marks. Practice unfortunately, no magic bullet.

DavidFord

I have printed off some stickers. I laminated them. I insert the media back into the printer. It registers the crop marks and starts cutting. Problem is the cut lines are approx 1cm off to the right. When looking at the printer.

The cut lines in the preview of versaworks are in the right spot.

My offset is .25mm

Any advice appreciated.
There is a procedure in the manual to setup alignment. I'm at home and do not have the manual here. It takes about 15 minutes.

David Ford

chopper

press menu,( up arrow to print cut adj) right arrow to test print (up arrow) to auto press enter this will do an alignment for the optical eye to the crop marks you will need to have media loaded to do this //chopper

gradus

One more thing - I recommend to proceed with ENVIRONMENT MATCH before each print - laminate - cut step, it helps a little and makes registration better.

TonyHoles

I would also suggest not pressing get media width again after you laminate and load the media back in the printer. Just change the setting in versaworks to cut only and then start it.

Hitting get media width after you reinsert it from being laminated can cause you to have this problem

Velocity

Its some kind of flaw. I know others have experienced it.

I find that I have to leave the job active and open in Flexi until ive gone back in and cut the image. Now computer and all stays on until job is done.

I have adjusted the hell out of this thing and if you print and cut right away it cuts just fine but if you remove the job from flexi or shut down something goes wrong.

Good luck, unless someone has a definite answer.

SCPDUDE76

press menu,( up arrow to print cut adj) right arrow to test print (up arrow) to auto press enter this will do an alignment for the optical eye to the crop marks you will need to have media loaded to do this //chopper

Strange, I tried that. It printed the mark but the roland couldn't see it. Weird

Blizare

I print and cut every single day with no issues. Once you get it you get it.

Important notes in this post are,

Don't change any settings in versaworks. Just change to cut only and hit print.

Add an extra stroke around the letters if your cutting right to the edge. In Illustrator, thicken up the stroke and then copy that layer and give it the VW cut path and just add that to the top of the layers.
It gives you some more error tolerance.
If you just laminated and want to cut right away, make sure to rub the crop marks out so there is no silvering.

I shut the printer down. Open the cover and setup the box to line up with my cutting strip. I then hold the right side so it doesn't move and line up the circle on the left quickly lifting the media to see if its centered. Once the clamps are down you can lift and re-adjust. It took me about 50 times and now it's no issue, Cuts the fist time.

CamoPixel

We just ran into a similar problem with our SP-540V. We have had the printer just over 2 years and regularly print / laminate / cut. I do use a thicker outline around my letters to accomodate the possible mis-alignment for the cut. The problem is this file is a letter that is black with a light grey outline, and they are rather small letters, approx .5 inch to 1.5 inch high in the file. So...any amount of mis-alignment in the cutting is quite apparent. The error cropped up after printing about 120 decals. The scan seemed to be off. The cut top to bottom (feed) was perfect.

I did an enviro match and the print cut adjustment and cleaned the crop mark sensor. Problem is, if I use that file to do a print/cut, it works perfect. It is only if I use the crop mark feature that the left to right is off. The dealer told us it was the board on the top of the tool carriage that the ribbon plugs into. We installed a new one and no change. (We do know this was part of the problem because it was faulty, the voltage had been too low, now it is correct). Next the dealer said we had to get a new ribbon (sorry, don't know the official name, it is the ribbon that runs the length of the printer that is attached to the tool carriage.)

We installed the new ribbon, now the problem is worse...the feed line is off also now. I would like to mention, that when I do the print cut adjustment, and I move the feed/scan numbers around, it does affect my regular print/cut file. It Does NOT affect my print/laminate/cut file using crop marks. I adjusted the numbers up to +5 (extreme I know) and it cut in the exact same spot on the same file. I have also tried manual crop mark detection and it still has the same cut error.

Dealer is at a loss....arg...we have a 5000 large decal order and hate being dead in the water. Any ideas out there?

Your sensor isn't dirty, it wouldn't read if it were. You need to adjust the CROP Adjustment (Service mode). This MUST be done FIRST before doing a Print & Cut Alignment. Once you have the Crop adjusted, then adjust the Print/Cut and do an Environmental Match.

CamoPixel

Thanks, it does seem to be working better now. Someone here did call a tech and they walked him through how to do this calibration you mention in service mode.

On a similar note, does anyone know if there is a max weight of vinyl + laminate that can be used to do die cut decals? The reason I ask is because now when we are doing these same decals, row one of a 10" wide decal seems fine in the cut stage. (the decal is turned sideways so it runs 90 degrees to the leading edge) Sometimes when it gets to row 2 the feed cut line is off, and almost always row 3 is so far out of whack the row is garbage. Total length of the vinyl is only about 33" long in total. The decals are fairly small, 10" wide x 2", so the printer is sending the roll back and forth quite a bit doing the cut compared to if we kept the decal parallel to the leading edge. Possibly this is the reason for the feed cut line error?

We have the cut speed slowed to 5cm/s, it seems to help delay the error in the cut on the page.

We are using IJ35 and the corresponding laminate (not sure the id number of the laminate, but it seems fairly heavy)