• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VersaCAMM VS-420 - Wrong Printhead Installed???

AndyNN

Hello!

So... I might have goof'd. My boss told my to take out the print head from the VS-420 to change the dampeners. I did no problem. Here's where I regret not taking pictures in the process as a spring came loose
He came back with the print head a few days later and told me to put it back. I did, without the spring. Now it tells me it's the wrong print head that has been installed. I tried different combinations with the flat cables to no avail. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the spring or the metal strip on the print head mount.

I'm at a loss what to do, so I turn to you. I hope someone know how it's properly installed. I failed miserably and you're probably face-palming right now, I would!

I took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/vrKqYGN

Best Regards,
AndyNN

GTSTech_1

Only time I have ran into the "Wrong Printhead" message was when a customer supplied the printheads for a XC-540 rebuild (he had printer in storage for a couple of years). After calling Roland support and reading off the Head Rank ID to them, they asked me why I was trying to install Water Based heads into a Eco Solvent printer? Turns out the customer opted for the cheaper printheads from oversea supplier. I suspect your boss tried to save some money as well.

Just my .02

Joe House

Either the head is damaged, incorrect or it is wired up wrong. I can't help with the first two, but here's how the cables need to go. There are 3 of one type and one of a different type - contacts are on opposite sides of the cable. The oddball cable is #3.
upload_2020-4-20_12-43-45.png

The coil spring will be needed to properly adjust the printhead - after you get it working. I don't recognize the flat spring, but it looks like some kind of grounding plate/spring.

Good Luck

Ultraman

Ultraman
Only time I have ran into the "Wrong Printhead" message was when a customer supplied the printheads for a XC-540 rebuild (he had printer in storage for a couple of years). After calling Roland support and reading off the Head Rank ID to them, they asked me why I was trying to install Water Based heads into a Eco Solvent printer? Turns out the customer opted for the cheaper printheads from oversea supplier. I suspect your boss tried to save some money as well.

Just my .02
I know its an old post but I have the same problem here, I bought some Aqueous print heads (water based) and on the led it says Wrong Head Installed. I went into service mode hoping to change the rank# but the led didn't want to lit up and I tried to pressed enter still not working, anyone have any solutions??

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
That head shouldn't be used that machine. The solvent ink will start to melt the manifold and you are going to get plastic residue in the head, at which point it will make an interesting paperweight. The solution is to buy the correct printhead.

Ultraman

Ultraman
That head shouldn't be used that machine. The solvent ink will start to melt the manifold and you are going to get plastic residue in the head, at which point it will make an interesting paperweight. The solution is to buy the correct printhead.

Thank Thanks for getting back to me. Can aqueous print head be use on eco solvent printer? I have many eco solvent manifold that I can change into but I need to know how I can bypass the wrong head installed on Led. I did update firmware and make sure the flex cable set in properly but still said wrong head installed, if i did fast enough and get into service mode but the Led wouldn't lit up so I can't see to change rank# (this machine playing games with me)

p/s I noticed Digiprint sell dx4 print head for models such as VP, XC and say's compatible to FJ (water based printer)

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Epson sometimes implements codes into printheads that restrict them to certain printer models, especially the aqueous heads. This is likely your problem..

The DX4 solvent version heads can be used on water based heads. If you buy an aqueous version, you have to change the manifold to a solvent manifold. The price is usually so close, just buy the right head.