Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help VersaCAMM VS-420 - Wrong Printhead Installed???

Discussion in 'Roland' started by AndyNN, Mar 30, 2020.

1. AndyNN

AndyNN New Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Denmark
    Hello!

So... I might have goof'd. My boss told my to take out the print head from the VS-420 to change the dampeners. I did no problem. Here's where I regret not taking pictures in the process as a spring came loose
    He came back with the print head a few days later and told me to put it back. I did, without the spring. Now it tells me it's the wrong print head that has been installed. I tried different combinations with the flat cables to no avail. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the spring or the metal strip on the print head mount.

I'm at a loss what to do, so I turn to you. I hope someone know how it's properly installed. I failed miserably and you're probably face-palming right now, I would!

I took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/vrKqYGN

Best Regards,
    AndyNN

2. Only time I have ran into the "Wrong Printhead" message was when a customer supplied the printheads for a XC-540 rebuild (he had printer in storage for a couple of years). After calling Roland support and reading off the Head Rank ID to them, they asked me why I was trying to install Water Based heads into a Eco Solvent printer? Turns out the customer opted for the cheaper printheads from oversea supplier. I suspect your boss tried to save some money as well.

Just my .02

3. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Either the head is damaged, incorrect or it is wired up wrong. I can't help with the first two, but here's how the cables need to go. There are 3 of one type and one of a different type - contacts are on opposite sides of the cable. The oddball cable is #3.
    upload_2020-4-20_12-43-45.png
    The coil spring will be needed to properly adjust the printhead - after you get it working. I don't recognize the flat spring, but it looks like some kind of grounding plate/spring.

Good Luck