• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaCamm VS-540 puking ink from cartridge holder

Bill72

My Roland Versacamm VS-540 is leaking ink out of the bottom of the cartridge holding box (don't know technical name for this part but I attached pictures to help explain). First time it did this was about a year ago. One morning I noticed a pool of yellow ink underneath the printer below where you install the ink cartridges. Had a service tech come in and look at it he told me to put some rags on the floor to soak up the ink, then gave me a quote for a new printer....lol big surprise another aspiring sales rep.

Since then its leaked every color. It doesn't drain the whole cartridge but leaks enough that the tray inside under the cartridges fills and drips ink on the my floor. I took it apart to see what I could see and it looks like its coming from where the needle punctures the cartridge. So I looked at the Ink cartridges that leaked and it looks like the tab where the needle goes in is melted (attached picture shows what i'm talking about). Not like that when I put them in, been checking. I have always used the recommended roland brand Inks. Just thinking maybe defective cartridges? I don't know anyone else come across this? Hasn't affected the prints so I just have a puke pail under my printer now, but if there's a solution I'd like to fix it.

Cart holder.jpg
INK CART.jpg
leak.jpg
Cart holder.jpg

GTSTech_1

I have seen many ink carts like yours coming out of the Roland VS models, usually it's a by product of using white and metallic inks. The printer prompts you to shake the cart, which means removing and inserting the same cart, it puts stress on the plunger...aka causes some leakage. Looks like your are using dual cmyk config, so don't think the printer is prompting you to shake your inks, but if it is then that could explain why the little leakage.

Just my .02

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As GTS said, it's most likely the septum in the ink cartridge not sealing with the needle properly. Whether that's because they have been taken in and out too many times or a defective cartridge is hard to say but to have that many defective cartridges would be pretty rare. One is rare even. The melting is from the ink though for sure. I don't think it's an electrical short as there are no real electronics around the needle. If this machine is older maybe the needle is just dull or broken and so it doesn't puncture properly. That would be my guess but this is a unique issue for sure.

Joe House

I think there was a firmware version that did ask to agitate the cartridges no matter which ink setup there was. I your printer asks you to remove and shake the cartridges, try updating the firmware.

You've already got the ink station upgrade on there, which was supposed to help with the leaking ink problem. It would be worth a look at the needle assemblies to make sure that they are straight and sharp. And just make sure that you're going in straight.

Good Luck

Baz

VS 540 user here.
Bought it new in 2015. I have dual CMYK setup and it does ask me to shake cartridges every now and then.
Never had this issue and i have even put in refilled cartridges from leftover carts that had been punctured many times over by filling it up.

I too suspect used, faulty or damaged needles inside the printer.

Bill72

Thanks everyone for the replies...I've yet to be let down by this forum!

Yeah I did find a post out there somewhere that mentioned multiple punctures in the cartridge after I posted this thread. And it definitely sounds like whats happening. Got the VS in 2010 and it has always periodically prompted me to shake certain cartridges. Thanks again Much appreciated

vondegroot

So, do VS owners NOT have to shake the inks periodically? (with non white/metallic setups)
I always wondered if it was necessary, or just a Roland / OEM ink issue, cause no one running a bulk ink system is shaking carts ;)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
So, do VS owners NOT have to shake the inks periodically? (with non white/metallic setups)
I always wondered if it was necessary, or just a Roland / OEM ink issue, cause no one running a bulk ink system is shaking carts ;)

I know with Mutoh and Mimaki printers they only recommend shaking the white and silver and even then most people dont!

citysignshop

So CMYK VS owners... do you shake the carts, or just hit the Enter key?
yep, shakey shakey every time it asks....I thought that was the only way to stop the beeping! ;) Never did like how they went back in. Most of our work is not super colour matching, so if we didn't do it, I'm sure nobody would care!

Still, what the hell is with the MELTING????? how can the ink do this? dissolves the plastic cartridge that holds the ink? ( yes, there's a bag inside). WTH?