• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versatex for a vacuum plenum?

Gary Wiant

I'm building a vacuum table for my soon to arrive CNCRP PRO 4x8 Router and I was going to use phenolic to route my plenum until I was quoted $780 for a 4x8 sheet of C or CE. I could use MDF but the extra hassel with sealing it has me a little turned off. So I thought maybe I could try Versatex, I'm just not sure if it is "air tight" enough or if it would leak through the material.

Any help is appreciated
Gary

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
I know on our old router, after the boss man set the machine on fire and burnt half our plenum away lol, we replaced it with mdf and sealed it with a high quality epoxy primer that seemed to work really well. Just taped off the machine and sprayed it right in place. Took care to sand the tops of the board between coats to get a smooth finish.

Gary Wiant

I have a couple questions for you.

What epoxy primer did you use? I was told to use a 2 part epoxy adhesive to seal with.

Can you spray or brush it?

How in the world did your boss catch the router on fire?

Thanks

Gary Wiant

Thanks for the response. Can I ask a couplequestions?
How deep are the groves in your plenum?

Did you have to seal it with epoxy?

Thanks again