• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks 4.6 update - Seamless tiling

Custom_Grafx

So this update isn't bad!

Just drop in a seamless tile directly into VW and it tiles it for you.

The new function is called 'step and repeat', and has a variety of setup options within VW.

This saves you having to generate pre-tiled art, I can also see it working equally well for doing solid colours.

Say you wanted to print a 1000x400mm of solid red... you don't need to create a file of that exact size in Ai or whatever, you can simply do it in this new module.

Although nothing revolutionary, it's good to have more than one way to do something.

Worth the update IMO.

Just did a test print and work ok, no white gaps/lines.

Custom_Grafx

Hi Fred,

I'm playing with it right now actually.

It lets you see a preview of the appearance, however to my disappointment, does not allow you to play with scaling at all.

The feature simply lets you clip the tile as required (I can't see why you would clip a seamless tile though), and also lets you define the output size.

Eg, if your tile is 100mm x 100, and you don't clip it, and you spec an output size of 1000x1000mm, you'll get a 10x10 up.

You also have the option to 'stagger' the tiles, either horizontally or vertically, specifying different ratios. Again, not something I would use unless the tile is a solid colour. It would be good for say a badge logo on a solid background...

Attachments

• step-repeat.jpg
    step-repeat.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 72

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
CG what is the advantage to tiling solid colors?
Can't you just take the input size and scale it to the needed output size?
Or could VW not do this before?

wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

CG what is the advantage to tiling solid colors?
Can't you just take the input size and scale it to the needed output size?
Or could VW not do this before?

wayne k
guam usa

Like I said, nothing revolutionary, just another way.

Previously, if you wanted to do that in VW (which I never did, and probably still won't even with this new function), you would have to 'clip' the file then scale it to the required size. Reason being, that you cannot scale with unlocked proportions within VW.

The biggest use I see for this new feature is only for seamless tiling. It's really a pity they don't let you scale it though. Maybe in the next update.

Custom_Grafx

Just found another 'bug'... it doesn't work for any cutting. This is purely for printing wall graphics/tiling, maybe even car wraps... but I think people are more likely to use their design software for that.

With their UV products also gaining popularity in the packaging prototype world, it may also be handy for tiling logos on wrappers and the such.