• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks 6 Profiles and i1Studio

Jester

Slow is Fast
The Roland VW manual says it is compatible with the i1pro. Can we use an x-rite i1Studio spectrophotometer to create color profiles from within Versaworks 6?

We don't want to waste a lot of time, material, and ink going down that rabbit hole if it is never going to work.
---

Do we even want to? We have the i1Studio with the full software which can profile CMYK printers. What are the pros and cons of creating printer profiles inside Versaworks, versus creating them with i1Studio?

i1studio-03.jpg

https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/i1studio

(Our printer is a Truevis2. We'd like to use some materials which don't have prebuilt profiles from the respective OEMs.)

TIA!

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Jester, post: 1473144, member: 80260"]Can we use an x-rite i1Studio spectrophotometer to create color profiles from within Versaworks 6? cannot be 100% but it will be listed somewhere. if you have versaworks 6, you may be able to search it. if you have the device, plug it in and try.

Do we even want to? We have the i1Studio with the software version which can profile CMYK printers. What are the pros and cons of creating printer profiles inside Versaworks, versus creating them with i1Studio? I have never used the studio software, but out of curiosity i have seen it in action on youtube.
i1Studio is a bare bones software, where it'll just take the readings and give you a profile. It'll probably do a decent job as xRite does a really good job and consistent.
Versaworks, well i have no exp but im sure it'll be capible too. not sure how good compared, but you'd be able to make more adjustments in it.

IMO i would rather have an i1pro2. with the i1 profiler software in a professional environment. more capable
The studio is really for home users.

FrankW

It is not possible to create ICC-Profiles in Versaworks. You need a separate software which is capable to create CMYK-Profiles. You need to create a media, set ink limits and do the linearization in Versaworks, but the profile needs to be created in a software like i1 Profiler, and needs to be imported into Versaworks.

The last time I have profiled in Versaworks, it supports the i1 Pro only. As far as I remember, that little i1 Studio Spectrophotometers are not made to read hundreds of colour swatches per profile to create a good ICC-Profile or LFP. But perhaps I‘m not up to date.

Jester

Slow is Fast
Pauly and FrankW, thank you very much for your responses.

FrankW , I didn't realize that "profiling the printer" was a two-step process. In order to print swatches using i1Profiler wouldn't we need to select an existing profile (with material, passes, and ink limits) inside VW so we could RIP and print the swatch file output by the i1 software? I thought this is why there is a special workflow inside VW which controls this process.
https://files.rolanddga.com/Files/VersaWorks_6/topic/tStep2PrepareForCreatingAProfile.html

FrankW

Applying an existing profile to a swatch print for ICC-measurements is a bad idea ;-) ,because that can falsify the measurements. You need to create a media in the media manager or select one, do the linearization, and then very important select "Density Control only" in the Color Management Properties in the Quality Tab, so that shurely no ICC-profile is applied to the print (in earlier versions, if that is not selected, a generic profile is applied bad), only linearization. From i1 Profiler, you could create a swatch file which can be printed through VersaWorks.

I have checked it today, only i1 Pro/Pro 2, i1iO (scanning table with i1 Pro) and i1iSys is supported.

Mata

I have an i1Pro2 and use versaworks.

Basically you use the i1pro to read and limit the ink, once done you use i1profiler to create your profile.

There is a lot more to it than that though and it's not a simple process.

What are you using to design in? Illustrator, signlab?

What colour mode are you designing in? i.e. CMYK, RGB

Are you saving your files as PDF's and what settings are you using?

That is just a few question on the start of a very long road but once you're there it should be worth it. Not only will you save money on ink but you'll also make your colours pop.

Jester

Slow is Fast
Thanks all for the replies. Since my original post I've taken both the SGIA Color Bootcamp and Idealliance Color Fundamentals courses. I now have a little better understanding of the theory and process. I still need more experience before I'll be confident in my ability to properly set the ink limits, though!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thanks all for the replies. Since my original post I've taken both the SGIA Color Bootcamp and Idealliance Color Fundamentals courses. I now have a little better understanding of the theory and process. I still need more experience before I'll be confident in my ability to properly set the ink limits, though!

With out hands on practice, you wont learn!

I've spend years battling with onyx thrive for it to produce a high quality icc profile. With perfect settings it will, with anything other than perfect, it just wont.
I've tried pretty much every ICC profiling software and battled with them all.
I've also spent years testing and building profiles for glass (our main product)

All i can say is, go buy your tools, and get profiling.
Try different settings, see what looks good. make notes etc.
But what i can tell you is i1 Profiler is pretty consistent and forgiving for shit measurements and settings. so i wouldn't be to worried using it.