Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Versaworks 6

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by IDB Signs, Oct 17, 2018.

1. IDB Signs

IDB Signs Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Portland, TN
    Just got an email from Roland announcing their new Versaworks 6. Seems to be pretty similar to the old ones, both Dual and 5. Has updated UI and appearance to match the style of Windows 10. Supposedly has great improvements with handling transparencies and spot colors, which should be a welcome change. As with any new software, I'll likely wait until there has been a few releases before checking it out.

https://www.rolanddga.com/products/software/roland-versaworks-6

Thoughts?

Tags:
  2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Member

Aug 2, 2008
    South Australia
    about damn time! 32bit VWD was really getting long in the tooth.
    Although 64bit seems to really be the only upgrade other than minor tweaks. Be interested to see how much faster stuff might rip now it actually can access more ram and hopefully more than 1 cpu core.

3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    There won't be a massive change in speed. They are hyping it up as this big upgrade but simply moving to 64 bit doesn't speed things up a whole lot. As you said, being able to access more memory is the biggest part. Large files should RIP faster in that regard. But the RIP process fundamentally can't use multiple cores. So if you want to up your RIP speed, the amount of cores doesn't matter. The clock speed is what matters most.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Calgary alberta
    thanks for this...im downloading and trying it out today.....I alway leave the previous version installed, so i can "play" with this, but can still fall back on Dual if i have something urgent......

5. Ra33it

Ra33it Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Portland
    Is this or Dual compatible with a gx-640 cutter? I can't seem to find any info if it's supported or not and I've heard conflicting answers. I'm currently running ver. 5.5.1 and It's my daily bane on production.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  6. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    It appears that 6 is a free update to Dual... wasn't Dual a free update to VW 5? I kinda thought 6 was replacing Dual [and VW 5]? I tend to hang back a couple months before doing updates, let some of Ya'll sort out the inevitable problems, ya know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ra33it

Ra33it Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Portland
    They are, but not all Roland machines are compatible with Dual and now also ver. 6, but it looks like all the other GX cutters are compatible, but not the 640, which is odd to me, so I was trying to find conformation from people who may have the same machine and have upgraded to Dual or ver. 6.

8. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Member

Aug 2, 2008
    South Australia
    Its not a very good upgrade, still seems to be limited to 3GB of ram. Seems like it really needs a ground up rewrite.

9. Gene@mpls

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Perhaps VanderJ could help us understand which machines work with V6 and Dual- I have looked on the Roland site and it is not clear at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Signature Sign Guys

Signature Sign Guys Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Kamloops BC
    Just downloaded the Upgrade and started printing. I have the Roland pro4 xr-640. Haven't noticed a huge difference yet but all my settings from dual migrated with ease and I haven't skipped a beat or lost any production time.

11. Ra33it

Ra33it Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Portland
    What kind of cutter do you use? Or do you print and cut all on the xr-640

12. Signature Sign Guys

Signature Sign Guys Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Kamloops BC
    I print and cut everything with the xr-640. haven't come across any issues yet

13. Ra33it

Ra33it Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Portland
    Yeah sadly we cut everything on a gx-640 plotter which doesn't seem to be compatible with anything above v5.5.1 of versaworks.

14. Brazili

Brazili New Member

Oct 27, 2013
    egypt

Attached Files:

15. yukon

yukon Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Kenvil NJ
    I've upgraded to VW6. I use a Roland VSi 540 printer and Roland GR540 cutter. This is my problem:

All the prints done in VW6 are cut on the GR540. When I send the cut command to the plotter it searches and finds the cropmarks as usual but doesn't proceed to cut the graphics. It just STOPS after searching for the marks. The screen on the cutter quickly says "cutting" even though it isn't cutting.

I've updated my firmware on the cutter, all connections are good and VW6 sees and is communicating with the GR540.

I have a call in to Roland but they haven't called back yet and I'm in a big bind! Been cutting on the VSi, but man is it slow!

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

16. JoeDG

JoeDG Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast

Jul 16, 2018
    Bristol - UK
    Attached list of devices that are compatible with RVW6, the software works with any current models...GX-640 included (don't know why you thought otherwise?).
    5 Queues, each with own input for better organisation and automated workflows.
    Multiple printer colour matching (same devices).
    Profiles and jobs can be imported from RVW dual.

Attached Files:

17. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I just upgraded from Dual to VW6 and am not all that impressed.. (I use a Roland VG-640)

The issues I've been having are prints keep going after they've been canceled on the printer and the queue in Versaworks. I'll even close out of VW6 and they just keep coming. Have to keep resetting the printer and VersaWorks in order to get the prints to stop.

Also noticed that a lot of my usual PDF files won't rip, but will as EPS. It's not consistent, however. Some large files are just fine as PDF, some files aren't. I don't believe it's a file size issue, since saving from PDF to EPS produces a larger file (for me, anyway).

It's only been about a week since I've switched, so we'll see if things fix themselves...

18. CSOCSO

CSOCSO I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.

Jul 18, 2012
    Florida
    I stopped using VW6 real fast. even after reinstalling everything it crashed a couple times. and that is a big no-no when i print. 5 never gives me issues. So no. Thank you.

19. Gene@mpls

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    We had problems getting our spot colors to print correctly on VW6- went back to Dual and all is well. RF640 and GR540.

20. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Am now having the issue where nothing happens when you send a file to plot... status is stuck at 0% and the printer isn't even trying to find crop circles.. :banghead: