• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks and Summa

CanuckSigns

Up until now we have used our roland print/cut machine as our plotter as well, but we are possibly going to be buying a standalone cutter, a Summa.

I have a question about the workflow with this setup, lets say I have a job of 200 decals to print & cut, right now I set up a single decal, send it to versaworks, set my copies to 200 and go, can I still do this with a Summa cutter? or do i need to set up my file with all 200 pcs in it?

Can someone with a roland and a summa chime in?

KaranGrewal

Versaworks don't have pugin for Summa. so you need to set up your print file with Summa registration marks. ( Summa has AI and Coral draw plug in and easy to use). Instead of setting one decal now you need all 200 decals in you print file. and set up separate cut file for summa. other option is to switch to different rip software like Caldera or colorgate. both software support Roland and summa, also comes with Adobe APPE .

CanuckSigns

Ok it sounds like the easiest way to go is to buy a Roland cutter so we can use the printer and cutter together without changing our workflow.

How do the Roland cutters compare quality wise against the summa and graphtec's?

FrankW

Ok it sounds like the easiest way to go is to buy a Roland cutter so we can use the printer and cutter together without changing our workflow.

How do the Roland cutters compare quality wise against the summa and graphtec's?

It is the easiest way, but not the best way. No other roll cutter beats the contour cutting abilities of Summa's OPOS X. It is much faster, more reliable and more functional than the roland system. I know noone who bought a roland cutter for contour cutting.

splizaat

As the poster above said, summa seems to have the greatest reliability and accuracy of any plotters and most people on this forum are running Roland Print / Summa plotter.

Your other option is to get a different rip that will work with both. I think most aftermarket rips support both.

wallart80

Versaworks don't have pugin for Summa. so you need to set up your print file with Summa registration marks. ( Summa has AI and Coral draw plug in and easy to use). Instead of setting one decal now you need all 200 decals in you print file. and set up separate cut file for summa. other option is to switch to different rip software like Caldera or colorgate. both software support Roland and summa, also comes with Adobe APPE .
hi
i am thinking to buy a roland vs540 , but i also like print cut with summa barcode server , watched a few videos it looks the best way for print-cut workflow , have you ever heard anyone who has roland VS series and use summa cutter with it?

FrankW

Using OPOS is easy to do. For using OPOS Barcode, you need a different software.

As mentioned before, there are Plugins for Corel or Adobe to create markers in the jobs. So you can print the file through versaworks and cut through Winplot or MacSign.

Another possibility is the "Contour Cutting without RIP"-Functionality in Flexi. Creating Jobs in Flexi with markers easily (including simple functionality to create cut contours), sending printing data to versaworks with a click on a button, do contour cutting through Flexi on the summa.