• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks and Windows 7 or 10? SP-540v

FulSnygg

My old computer crashed yesterday, I have been running Versaworks in Windows Vista on that one. Now I have a new PC, and windows 10 is installed but I can downgrade it to windows 7. Win 10 don't seem to work, and I read that there's no drivers awalible for win 10 yet (atm Versaworks recognises the printer but it won't print). Is this correct or have I just done something wrong in the installation? Will windows 7 work? Do I need to do anything special?
Bonus info: Today the computer is connected to the printer through an ethernet switch.

phototec

My computer hard drive crashed two weeks ago, I also have a SP-540V. It was running win 7, so all I did was get a NEW hard drive and re-installed Win 7 on the new hard drive, no need for a new computer. If you have the official Windows (holographic) sticker on the computer somewhere, you can legally reload the same Windows OS again.

In my case the computer tech who did the work and recovered all of my USER folder info from the bad drive, said he was also able to upgrade me to Win 7 Pro while he was having to install Win 7 anyway.

I'm no expert, however I will stay with Win 7 and not make the switch to Win 10 for now, maybe later when all the bugs are worked out.

ams

Windows 10 is a pile of crap and it seems nobody is happy with it. Stick with Windows 7, it's still the best.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
there is NOTHING wrong with windows 10. I upgraded from win7 and never had a single problem. Not with apps nor games.
I don't know if versacamm is compatible with win10 but i would upgrade to win7 for sure. Its the best win OS for sure. had it for years and never slowed down like xp or vista.

FulSnygg

The computer was old so there was no meaning in spending any money to fix it.
New computer but now I can't get the printer to run, neither on windows 7 or 10. Installed Versaworks 3.1, updated to newest version online. Versaworks recognises the printer. It can do the readings of the media width. But it can't read ink levels and it doesn't print. I don't get this?!

FulSnygg

Ok - now I atleast got it printing. Read in some other forum that you need to run the program as an administator (right klick on the icon and chose "open as administrator"), wtf?! It works, but should I really need to do it this way? Also, VW still thinks there's no ink in the printer. And haven't tested any other functions yet, so who knows how much other troubles there might be. Anyone else with these problems?

untitled

I am running Windows 10 with Versaworks and a VS-640 without any problems at all. I'm not sure why anyone would say Windows 10 is bad operating system. It's much better than any of the previous OS's. I also have this setup working without any issues at all on my desktop and my Surface Book. So I doubt it's a Windows 10 issue. I also had no issues with this setup using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.

WildWestDesigns

Typically issues that you will more then likely run into are going to be driver related, either with your your production hardware (printer etc) or with your individual computer component hardware (video card etc).

Rather or not any of your components still have support will probably determine if you will ever get Win 10 support. Part of the problem with trying to be "bleeding edge" with computers. There will be a while of playing catch up. Being a heavy Fedora user, that is something I know all too well at times.

However, due to that, I usually suggest keeping the "bleeding edge" stuff away from production computers unless you have the time/inclination/knowledge to work through the "pains" to get it going.

there is NOTHING wrong with windows 10. I upgraded from win7 and never had a single problem. Not with apps nor games.

Your mileage may very. I've known some people that have very expensive digitizing software that made the move to Win 10 and it wasn't compatible (nor was the company supporting that program on Win 10, which the company gave more then fair warning about before Win 10 went live) and broke their install.

That kind of stuff you run the risk on no matter what OS you are upgrading to. When mom went from Win 7 to Win 8, it broke her Ps CS6 install and broke Corel DRAW install. It happens. I think a lot of variables come into play when upgrading an older computer that people don't realize.

Having said that, the one thing that I do find wrong with Win 10 is that it is very invasive, even if some things are overblown by tinfoil hatters, an OS shouldn't be that invasive. Certainly some things shouldn't be enabled by default and not being able to turn everything off, I don't like have incoming/outgoing communications that I can't control. It doesn't matter if the OS is modern, appealing and/or easy to navigate compared to previous iterations, it shouldn't be invasive. But that's just me.

untitled

I heard Win10 can automatically upload your entire hard disk to their server and they own it.

I heard the only way to keep your computer safe is to keep it disconnected from the internet and only use a floppy disk from extremely trusted sources when opening any type of file at all. Otherwise the government aka Google, Microsoft, Facebook etc... takes everything you have and it becomes their property and then they will sue you for copyright if you ever use it again. And they know when you use it again because they are actually watching everything you do on your computer. That's why I don't use computers, I draw and color everything on vinyl by hand and cut it with an exacto knife. It's the only way to be safe.

Having said that, the one thing that I do find wrong with Win 10 is that it is very invasive, even if some things are overblown by tinfoil hatters, an OS shouldn't be that invasive. Certainly some things shouldn't be enabled by default and not being able to turn everything off, I don't like have incoming/outgoing communications that I can't control. It doesn't matter if the OS is modern, appealing and/or easy to navigate compared to previous iterations, it shouldn't be invasive. But that's just me.

You are right though, it is a little invasive technically (not to the extent of uploading your entire hard disk and them owning it lol). But really there is nothing I do on a computer I wouldn't do out in the public where anyone can see, so I don't care what they see. In my own personal opinion, I think there are much worse things to worry about. But that's just me and my own opinion.

WildWestDesigns

You are right though, it is a little invasive technically (not to the extent of uploading your entire hard disk and them owning it lol). But really there is nothing I do on a computer I wouldn't do out in the public where anyone can see, so I don't care what they see. In my own personal opinion, I think there are much worse things to worry about. But that's just me and my own opinion.

I think most people focus on rather or not do they do something "bad" with their computer. To me, that isn't the case. It's not always about rather or not someone does something bad.

We already know that they are collecting data in order to deliver ads to us. Use MS apps, use Cortena etc data mine your online AND offline searches to deliver ads custom to you. I can understand the online part. That's just an accepted risk attaching to a network (rather "you" realize it or not, rather you like it or not). Now, you can shut some of that stuff off, but not all. Given that Windows is closed source, from a technically legal perspective, can't go poking around the source code to see what else it does with that data. I think that's the biggest thing. That not knowing what else it does.

Auto updates that you can't shut off. That I don't like at all. Numerous instances of updates having ill effects around here. But those that got the "free" upgrade get those forced upon you and only after an update has been proven to be stable, it filters down to their Enterprise customers. Some people argue the security aspect of it, well all fine and dandy until you realize some of the "stuff" that Windows has enabled by default. Sharing "your" wifi password among contacts from Outlook, FB, and Skype. Who thought that was a good idea, much less enabled by default? I do believe that there have also been numerous reports of MS sneaking in things (changing the program name that they use for gathering telemetry (at least one of them), changing your default apps back to MS products) in those forced updates.

Win 10 is what forced me to go with VMs for Windows (and I'm still using 7). If I have to get 10 or later, it's going to be for sure in a VM that I can isolate it's outward connectivity (which I do even with 7).

Don't get me wrong, I do like my connectivity, but I like connectivity where I have control.

Tizz

I've been running Windows 10 with VW and an SP540V since win 10 was released (64bit). Have not had any issues whatsoever.