Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Versaworks - Cut line dissapears in artwork

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by Xcesiv, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Xcesiv

Xcesiv Member

May 24, 2011
    A customer has sent me his artwork and all looks pretty ok except the cut line wont appear in versaworks.

i have worked out that it is something to do with 1 layer inside the artwork.
    I have deleted the rest of the design just to show the error layer and the cut line.

When this layer is turned on it cant find the cut line, when i turn it off it finds the cut line.

any suggestions why this is ?

Link to the file in google drive.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz8GBBRLzsUgV2p4em1CdWdBZ1k

Thanks

Tags:
  2. jigsaw

jigsaw Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Australia
    if you save a file as "convert spot colours to cmyk your cut line will not show, don't know if that's your problem.

3. Xcesiv

Xcesiv Member

May 24, 2011
    Don't think that's the problem.

I hide rthe layer and just click save then import into VW and works fine. Open the artwork display the 1 particular layer and when imported again the cut line isn't there

4. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It sounds like that later contains a transparency. Either a drop shadow, a blend such as multiply, or it may just be a transparent raster such as tiff. When saving and eps with a transparency it automatically converts the spot colors to CMYK, and versaworks will not recognize the cut line.

5. Tizz

Tizz Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Melbourne
    Ive had a similar problem. What I did was save the file as a pdf (less the CutContour path), brought it in to Photoshop and flattened the entire image, resaved it as a pdf again and brought it back into illustrator, positioned my cutcontour path and saved it as an eps.
    Worked this time around in VW. Doesn't happen all the time though.

6. Xcesiv

Xcesiv Member

May 24, 2011
    This would make sense. It's got a shows in it

Is there a way around this without converting to a raster image?

7. JoshLoring

JoshLoring Very Active Member

Make sure there is no appearance style assosiated with the layer.. This makes a perfect cut contour unusable. We get this ALL THE TIME from clients.
    It's the little grey dot off to the right of the layer in your layer menu. Remove and ok.

8. Xcesiv

Xcesiv Member

May 24, 2011
    Will that effect the design?

I'll have to chek it out in the morning.

9. JoshLoring

It's only the cut path. Some people put the cut path in a group with a layer style...
    Just move the cutpath to a new layer without any appearance and boom!

10. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    There is a transparency in the file. Save as PDF4 1.3 then click Advanced tab. Click Custom another menu pops up. Make sure Convert Strokes to outlines is unchecked.

11. JoshLoring

Oops. Associated

12. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
  13. Xcesiv

Xcesiv Member

May 24, 2011
    I always split the cut line fom the print layer in my working files
    Layer 1 - cut contour
    Layer 2 - print

The effecting pece is in layer 2 and all cut lines are in layer 1

14. This worked for us

"There is a transparency in the file. Save as PDF4 1.3 then click Advanced tab. Click Custom another menu pops up. Make sure Convert Strokes to outlines is unchecked."

This solution worked for us, we had a file with some colors set at 75% transparency and tried flattening within the file every way we could before saving and couldn't get the cut lines to work. This trick saved us. THANK YOU!

Wrap City