• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks - Cut line dissapears in artwork

Xcesiv

A customer has sent me his artwork and all looks pretty ok except the cut line wont appear in versaworks.

i have worked out that it is something to do with 1 layer inside the artwork.
I have deleted the rest of the design just to show the error layer and the cut line.

When this layer is turned on it cant find the cut line, when i turn it off it finds the cut line.

any suggestions why this is ?

Link to the file in google drive.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz8GBBRLzsUgV2p4em1CdWdBZ1k

Thanks

jigsaw

if you save a file as "convert spot colours to cmyk your cut line will not show, don't know if that's your problem.

Xcesiv

Don't think that's the problem.

I hide rthe layer and just click save then import into VW and works fine. Open the artwork display the 1 particular layer and when imported again the cut line isn't there

ucmj22

It sounds like that later contains a transparency. Either a drop shadow, a blend such as multiply, or it may just be a transparent raster such as tiff. When saving and eps with a transparency it automatically converts the spot colors to CMYK, and versaworks will not recognize the cut line.

Tizz

Ive had a similar problem. What I did was save the file as a pdf (less the CutContour path), brought it in to Photoshop and flattened the entire image, resaved it as a pdf again and brought it back into illustrator, positioned my cutcontour path and saved it as an eps.
Worked this time around in VW. Doesn't happen all the time though.

Xcesiv

It sounds like that later contains a transparency. Either a drop shadow, a blend such as multiply, or it may just be a transparent raster such as tiff. When saving and eps with a transparency it automatically converts the spot colors to CMYK, and versaworks will not recognize the cut line.

This would make sense. It's got a shows in it

Is there a way around this without converting to a raster image?

JoshLoring

Make sure there is no appearance style assosiated with the layer.. This makes a perfect cut contour unusable. We get this ALL THE TIME from clients.
It's the little grey dot off to the right of the layer in your layer menu. Remove and ok.

Xcesiv

Make sure there is no appearance style assosiated with the layer.. This makes a perfect cut contour unusable. We get this ALL THE TIME from clients.
It's the little grey dot off to the right of the layer in your layer menu. Remove and ok.

Will that effect the design?

I'll have to chek it out in the morning.

JoshLoring

Will that effect the design?

I'll have to chek it out in the morning.

It's only the cut path. Some people put the cut path in a group with a layer style...
Just move the cutpath to a new layer without any appearance and boom!

rjssigns

There is a transparency in the file. Save as PDF4 1.3 then click Advanced tab. Click Custom another menu pops up. Make sure Convert Strokes to outlines is unchecked.

Xcesiv

It's only the cut path. Some people put the cut path in a group with a layer style...
Just move the cutpath to a new layer without any appearance and boom!

I always split the cut line fom the print layer in my working files
Layer 1 - cut contour
Layer 2 - print

The effecting pece is in layer 2 and all cut lines are in layer 1

WrapCity

This worked for us

"There is a transparency in the file. Save as PDF4 1.3 then click Advanced tab. Click Custom another menu pops up. Make sure Convert Strokes to outlines is unchecked."

This solution worked for us, we had a file with some colors set at 75% transparency and tried flattening within the file every way we could before saving and couldn't get the cut lines to work. This trick saved us. THANK YOU!

Wrap City