• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaWorks Dual workflow - Multiple Panels

OADesign

Hi All,

Happy Friday.

I have a large print job and i'm trying to make the workflow more efficient.

So each run is 36 panels. What I'm currently doing is bringing my art into VWD. Then setting up my panels (overlap etc). Then ripping/printing 4 panels at a time. Each panel is 50" x 12'. So the point of doing 4 at a time is just to make it a little more manageable for my team to handle on the table (Lam, trim, label and stuff). Then reset the roll on the take up just to relieve any drift or weird tension in the media.

Mind you this is running off of one entry in VWD. So after each run, I have to go back in to VWD, turn off and on which panels I want to print. Then rip again. Its kind of a pia to remember whats printed already and whats left to be printed and label every thing properly. Not to mention, if there is a flaw in one of the panels and it needs to be redone.

Just to make the process a more efficient, is it possible to bring the file into VWD 9 times. Then select the panels as needed, and rip all at once? Then when I'm ready, I can just press print and not have the down time of re-selecting panels etc.

My concern is that the panels need to match up really well. So if there is any difference in the panels like overlap placement, color (and anything else that VWD could mess up) it will be a big problem. Ultimately the goal is to be able to rip all 36 panels at once (overnight). Then print as needed, saving the 20 - 30 min of ripping and resetting each time. These runs come in on a regular and need to be produced quick style, so 30 min here and there make a real big difference over the course of a 8-10 hour day.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

Ok, I ran roland machines for over 10 years and had mostly great things to say about them, versaworks is a great RIP for the day to day simple jobs, but what you are trying to do is not versaworks forte.

In theory, your idea of bringing in multiple copies of the file should work, however anyone who has used versaworks to set up a panelled job knows how versaworks likes to forget things like overlaps and tile sizes randomly.

Have you considered handling your tiles in your design program and sending each tile to the rip as its own file?

If this is going to be an ongoing project, I would invest in a full scale RIP, we run onyx now and what you are trying to do now would only take about 3 clicks in onyx and all your panels would be ripped as individual files overnight, ready to print in the morning.

OADesign

Ok, I ran roland machines for over 10 years and had mostly great things to say about them, versaworks is a great RIP for the day to day simple jobs, but what you are trying to do is not versaworks forte.

In theory, your idea of bringing in multiple copies of the file should work, however anyone who has used versaworks to set up a panelled job knows how versaworks likes to forget things like overlaps and tile sizes randomly.

I know that is a thing around the interwebs. I've been using VersaWorks for years and VersaWorks Dual for coming up on 2 and never have that issue. With my luck, I've just typed those troubles into existence...

Have you considered handling your tiles in your design program and sending each tile to the rip as its own file?
Wow. You know what? That didn't even cross my mind for this. For whatever reason I'm wired to think of art files in two ways:
Art created in house - Open it. Tweak it. Place bells and whistles where applicable. Get creative on the production side to make job more efficient or profitable.
Client supplied art - Proofs approved? Bleeds set right? Yes? > Press print. No? > Send back to client.
LOL. Not sure why, but when things are popping at the shop, client supplied art just doesn't get those extra brain cycles and generally stays in the lower functions of my mind. I will give this some thought.

If this is going to be an ongoing project, I would invest in a full scale RIP, we run onyx now and what you are trying to do now would only take about 3 clicks in onyx and all your panels would be ripped as individual files overnight, ready to print in the morning.
I hear you on the "Real RIP" front. But we are not quite there yet. There is no scenario I can give to the check writing guy that can justify the $pend for Onyx, Caldera (or anything beyond what came with the printer for that matter). On top of that, I try really really hard to use every little bit of my tools functions before I consider moving to the next. I will give Onyx another look.

Thanks.

CanuckSigns

You should be able to download a 30 day trial of onyx and see how you like it. It will seem a bit daunting at first, took me a few months to understand it coming from versaworks, but once you understand how everything works, things like quicksets and ripping panels as seperate files save you a ton of time.

I would try setting the tiles in your design software first, if it works than you just saved yourself $3500 on onyx