• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks Gradients issue...

STAR Graphix

Ive got an issue printing gradients now, and will try to explain as best as possible.

I use Corel x3, and print through versaworks on sp-540. When I got the printer in July 08, it was set up with the latest update at that time...I never updated from that original set-up...Computer crashed around July 09, the service guy loaded the newest version at the time and set up the automatic updates...

the problem is the original set up, I could use a gradient with 2 or more colors from the roland profile, and would look good. Now with the newer version the second roland color in the gradient doesn't read, just leaves it white. When I noticed this (july) I tried printing some files from before the crash and they wont print the gradient like before. Roland told me then that you couldnt create a gradient between two roland colors, but I kow i did...is this a versaworks issue or am I overlooking something else?

Thanks in advance for any info!

J.Starnes

stevesign

What type of file are you exporting as from Corel ?

Corel has several issues with creating gradients.

You say the second colour does not read, it just leaves it white, are you printing it ? Or just viewing it on the preview prior to printing ?

STAR Graphix

I exported .pdf and .eps, Like I said I have old files that I printed once before, the crash, and now they wont print correctly...Thats what is confusing me...I can kinda get by on any fade to white so I've been working around it but I have a few red/black blue/black jobs that Im pulling my hair out over..

I printed them out, small samples.

Do you print gradients using Rolands profile in Corel? I have a customer who sends me files, print ready from photoshop and all of his gradients print fine.

thanks for the reply!

3dsignco

Do your Gradients in Photoshop or whatever Corels version is called.
Have seen this problem in a few vector programs.. Corel, especially has a problem exporting gradients due to it breaking it down to a million different color vector lines along with Corel's seriously crappy color management.

Most RIPs (especially the Lite versions that come with printers.) have a hard time reading/Converting this and your Fades will always look wacky as there will always be a color in there that can't be produced under CMYK so it takes an average of just those few lines throwing off your fade Transition. Whereas a raster Fade. If it can't be reproduce properly in CMYK it goes to the closet color throughout the fade keeping it consistent.

3dsignco

Don't hold me to it But Yes I think Illustrator does that also except in EPS mode.. When ever a Client sends me a file I require them to take all fades out and I will apply them myself in Signlab or Photoshop