• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

versaworks large file problem

dolce05

has anyone ever encoutered versaworks sending the file to your versacamm too slow which in turn stalls the printer?

We have a side of a van (93mb) loaded and ripped. when we send to print the status window creeps along which makes the printed stop every 15 passes or so (which also leads to banding).

When I send the hood to print (9mb) in goes no problem (but the status bar still seems slow if that makes any sense)

We have 91,230 mb avail on our c drive.

Also did a computer full system scan to cleanup anything that might hinder the progress.

Checked all connections to the printer (even unplugged/replugged everything after shutting down to see if that clears any cobwebs)

Loaded successfull files that we printed last week (65mb) and ripped them to see if it was just a corrupt file and had no luck with those either. (of course shut the comp down and restarted fresh)

**Also versaworks crashed for the first time after we loaded allsides of the vehicle to the queue and ripped them all, I selected the drivers side to print and it disappeared, then that lovley window that says this program has encountered some difficulty and has shut down yadayadayada. So of course we reloaded the file after shutting the computer down and restarting and had to rerip to still have the same problem.

any help would be much appreciated.....

ps I did call roland but they feel it has nothing to do with Versawoks and feel its the computer or the file, so we are downloading one of their files and we'll see.

Chris

jester2kx

Sounds to me like the its either the computer or if you are running a network connection to it.

Computer: cpu speed and ram are a big deal with sending large files to print. There could be a bottle-neck there somewhere

Network(if your using one): if you have other large file transfers going through a switch or hub at the same time as printing, that could be causing troubles. Not allowing the information to get the printer fast enough.

We had a simular problem a while back, but I upgraded the rip machine (new machine all together) and changed the way the network was setup (gave the rip machine and printer their own switch so nothing else could cause problems)

Hope that helps

flyinhawaiian968

I bet your network is running at 10mbps, not 100! A 93meg file is quite tiny for a wrap, our files sometimes exceed 600 megs per side (mainly on boats), we never have it slow down or pause. On top of that, I almost always use the rip while printing feature, and still no problems.

Check your network first, then check to see what you have running on your computer. If you have a lot of stuff loaded and running in memory, chances are something is taking up your memory bandwidth, or worse, some sort of spyware that's tying up your network! If you have more than 25 processes running on your system (CTRL+ALT+DEL), try closing as many of them as possible and see if it prints better. I usually have only 17 or 18 running on my rip machine.

Chris

dolce05

It was the comp, and we were well above what Roland recomended with everything. I installed versaworks on my other comp that we just built for designing only and everything is 10 times faster. Everyone was a great help and you all were right on with the problem.

thanks

Chris

Bogdaniel

It was the comp, and we were well above what Roland recomended with everything. I installed versaworks on my other comp that we just built for designing only and everything is 10 times faster. Everyone was a great help and you all were right on with the problem.

thanks

Chris

for anyone who will read this thread
The pc that is used for rip and print using versaworks should have on the drive where the software was installed at least 20GB free space all the time and it should not do any hard cpu processing because this might stop the printer for a second or two until the computer has resources to send the data to the printer.
VersaWorks - RIPS - START PRINTING - IN VERSA YOU WILL SEE PRINT STATUS 1% - THAT MEANS IT SENT TO THE PRINTER 1% OF THE FILE. Until the print is done the cpu will send 100% of data to the printer at the end the job will be gone from status but the printer will still print a few lines more. at least that's how it does.. prob if it yould have a higher transfer speed over the network it will send the file faster and the printer will have enough info to finish the print even if the cpu is closed or something.

Fantazia

93 MB is a small file. I had files up to 1GB with no problem. I good (and fast) printer is nothing with a slow computer.
Even an older computer can work good with VersaWorks. I use one PC just for rip and print.
It's an Win7 x64, Quad Core 775 CPU, 8GB RAM, one SSD for Windows, one fast HD as swap file disk and one HD for print data.
It works really good for a machine that is 5 years old but upgraded with some fast parts like the SSD.