• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks not calculating Metallic Ink Consumption

Xcesiv

Firstly how accurate is the ink consumption estimation figure within versaworks?

Secondly, i was trying to see how much ink would be used in a design that includes metallic ink and when i import the file and set it to just look at printing the metallic layer it shows an estimated consumption of 0.

when i choose CMYKLmLc is shows 28.78, when i chose CMYKLmLMt it shows 30.75

Is there anyway to work out the consumption of ink ( even as a guide) so i dont cut myself short in budgeting.?

thanks

Jack Knight1979

i don't think that the VW calculators are very accurate. Mine is always WAY off on time to print. My machine prints substantially faster than what VW calculates.

To get a rough I idea of the metallic consumption you could take the metallic spot color, convert it to a jpg and drop it in to VW. That will give you a rough idea of the ink usage based on the CMYK mix of the metallic spot alone.

It does seem you have it worked out based on process vs. process+Mt.

J

john1

I always just take the price i pay per ink cartridge and divide it by the ml of it. Gives you a rough idea on how much psf. I'd rather be high then low.

Bigdawg

Just Me
i don't think that the VW calculators are very accurate. Mine is always WAY off on time to print. My machine prints substantially faster than what VW calculates.

That's the opposite of my experience. The time on most jobs is pretty accurate and we watch those numbers closely when we are tight on the schedule. I have noticed it is more accurate on the large print jobs than on individual smaller pieces.

I can't print metallic, but it looks like it is adding in the ink when you look at overall consumption... am I reading that right? (The difference with and without metallic - if it was truly reading the metallic as 0 that number would be the same or lower than regular printing - I think)

Can you use that to get an idea of how much in the metallic will use? Doubling that number (the difference - not the overall consumption)

Or save the file with ONLY the metallic layer (delete the rest), drag it over to VW and see what it says for overall consumption then.