• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks - Oracal vs 3M Print Times?

idsignsil

Ok, so we made the switch from 3M to Oracal and love the print quality and working with the Oracal vinyl much better.

Can anyone explain to me why the Oracal print times are twice as long as the 3M times for comparable vinyl?

I know that I should make custom profiles, but that takes time and equipment that I do not have. The quality is great with the Oracal profiles that can be downloaded from their website. I just wish the print/run time was quicker.

Check whether the Oracal media profile is set to W-Pass.

This print mode (w-pass) will almost double the pass count (for example 6-pass goes to 10-pass), which in turn will slow down print throughput considerably (~80%). Another factor to be checked is the Head Speed defined in the media profile. All of this can be easily located in the Media Explorer (select media and review settings in the Mode List [right side of page]).

idsignsil

Castek,

Thanks for the help. Once the machine was done printing I went back and looked and I had the profiles with the W-Pass. Went and downloaded the other ones from Oracal's web site. I don't understand why when you choose your printer there is an XC-540 and a XC-540 (RIPC) option? Anyway I went with the RIPC option and it went to 8-pass instead of the old 16-pass. Thanks again.