Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Versaworks, PDF, CMYK,,, Do they play well together?

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by Gfx Signs, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Gfx Signs

Gfx Signs Member

Apr 26, 2008
    I have customers who do Printing for Mailings, Business Cards, Etc...
    They send me PDF files created in CMYK from Indesigns, Illustrator...

When I import the files to Versaworks the color is terrible.. Bright Green when it should be light green..

Is there a setting I can change in VW to get the CMYK to print better.???
    i.e. close to if the file were created in RGB..

Tags:
  2. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    We use PDF files for the majority of our output and for the most part it's fine. I have observed though that while spot colors seem better in CMYK, for actual photo images RGB seems to be better.

The other comment is of course that the on-screen preview in Versaworks is horrible, quality and color-wise, and not at all like the actual output.

3. Drip Dry

Drip Dry Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Long island NY
    PDF's are a final export from your customers original file. Why not ask them to export their original to an EPS or at least a high res jpeg.
    Most times, PDF's are fine, but many times they cause problems for my versaworks. It usually drops elements in the file or changes colors.

4. Gfx Signs

Gfx Signs Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Thanks Guys. That's what I figured.. It's hard to tell these artists who work in CMYK to do anything other..

5. sowinski_t

sowinski_t Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I make a point of NEVER printing from a pdf unless I can absolutely can't get around it. If I receive a pdf file from a customer, I generally will export it as an eps from Acrobat and then print that. I've had so many weird issues, glitches and general headaches from trying to make a PDF run through a RIP correctly that in my opinion it's not worth it.