• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks & Shadows from Illy

mgieske

We are getting bizarre output from our Illustrator vector files (exported as EPS.) Seems to be block shaped gradients behind our drop shadows. Anyone have file output guidelines to avoid this?

Rasterizing the file in Photoshop would be the 'traditional' solution to this problem. It is an imperfect fix (more of a work-around), as it will change spot colors to process color.

If you are using VersaWorks (only the current version 3.1.3), there is a brand-new color management Preset, called 'Full Page Converion Mode' that is designed to eliminate this specific problem. It is found in the Job Settings dialog, under the Quality Tab, in the Color Management Preset Listbox.

Bob

visualeyez

I believe it has something to do with using the "effect" rather than "filter" for a drop shadow. I have encountered the same problem with the same hardware and software as yourself, but can't recall exactly what I did. I usually just use the process of elimination and run a few test files till I figure it out.

Garbus

the problem is, that versa works cannot keep up with the adobe standards. This is a regular problem for us too. so i always check the files form our customers (pdf's) to see if there is masked areas. If so, I photoshop them at 300 dpi and save as jpg. This always works. Only a problem if its giant stuff, since photoshop will re-size to 270cm if its larger than that. But for us, its mostly posterprint, and seldom get bigger than that.

If anyone has a great idea for another work-around or solution. Please let ud know...

SoCalN8V

The same thing happens with CorelDraw and Versaworks. I just rasterize the image like mentioned above.

anotherdog

until you hit a spot color embeded in the file that you have to match.
If it was a perfect world they couldn't sell us illustrator CS5

sparekey

There's a rasterize command within Illustrator too. Would it be possible just to select the problem area/object and tell it to rasterize that, leave the rest of the vector work untouched if you have specific colour problems in other areas.

Also does using the "expand" or "expand appearance" command help?

Just guesses, I'm familiar with Illustrator, not the other stuff.

luggnut

the effects are rasters and the graphics are vectors... they are being RIPed differently. most rasters rendering intent is perceptual and vectors are relative or none. the intents can be changed in your RIP ( set rasters and vectors to the same thing.. i use relative colormetric)