• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks stopped recognizing cutlines

mikeinpdx

Versaworks was getting extremely slow, so I reinitialized it. Everything seemed ok, I could print just fine.

Now when I try to rip a job with cutlines, versaworks doesn't recognize that it's a file with cutlines ( the "a" never appears in the gear icon). I thought there must be something wrong with how we were setting up files in Illustrator, so I went back to so old cutfiles just to check. Load them into Versaworks, and they're not recognized either.

Any ideas on what to check? I don't have any else to compare to, but sometimes Versaworks seems pretty buggy for software that's been out there for a long time.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Double check that your default profile isn't some type of paper. When you use a paper profile instead of a vinyl profile in Versaworks it prevents you from cutting because paper doesn't have a backer like vinyl does.

mikeinpdx

Double check that your default profile isn't some type of paper. When you use a paper profile instead of a vinyl profile in Versaworks it prevents you from cutting because paper doesn't have a backer like vinyl does.

I never thought of that! It never ceases to amaze me how Roland software provides so little debugging help - like it wouldn't be obvious to alert the user when that happens?? I guess when they can't even have the manuals proofread for obvious English and grammar errors, the bar isn't being set too high.

But that wasn't it :-( I was using a wrap profile, tried another, same results. I have no idea what reinitializing did. I've added the cutter back, no problems there. But something changed in Versaworks. Who knows what. Really irritating, especially since I have something due in 4 hours.

LittleSnakey

I don't know what all these bugs are that you are referring to but anyway ... maybe you should make sure that you have print and cut selected and not print only on the cut controls tab and the crop marks box checked on the mark tab.

another thing to do is make sure you are running as admin.

mikeinpdx

another thing to do is make sure you are running as admin.

Thanks, this got me on the path to fixing it.

I rebooted, try as admin, saw a blank queue. So I restarted normally, queue is back, and now everything is fine, recognized rip jobs.

Still ticked at the flakiness of their software, but not much you can do I guess. Maybe reboot should be in the top 5 things to try when it flakes out.

mikeinpdx

I don't know what all these bugs are that you are referring to but anyway ... maybe you should make sure that you have print and cut selected and not print only on the cut controls tab and the crop marks box checked on the mark tab.

lol, snakey, not every roland printer is print and cut. Just fyi :)

TheGraphicLab

Mike, were there gradients in the file? I know my versaworks hates gradients and even photos sometimes when you are also trying to use the roland spot colors with them. Sometimes saving as PDF fixes this issue.

LittleSnakey

Sorry we do have a print and cut machine so my versaworks may be a little different. Although I don't use the roland to cut, just print.
We cut with a summa so we don't use versaworks very much only on banners and posters.

lol, snakey, not every roland printer is print and cut. Just fyi :)

mikeinpdx

Mike, were there gradients in the file? I know my versaworks hates gradients and even photos sometimes when you are also trying to use the roland spot colors with them. Sometimes saving as PDF fixes this issue.

Interesting! Yes, several spot colors, but no gradients ( thankfully, with all the greys in the design!!)

biggmann

I have the same problem if there is a transparency in the artwork, I have to flatten it in order for it to recognize the cut lines.

mikeinpdx

So you've experienced the blank queue too??! I just did a clean install of Versaworks today after we installed a new printer and my queue STILL doesn't display previews. Run as administrator, reboot, etc doesn't change a damn thing.

Yep, rebooted, ran as admin, then saw a blank queue. As I had a panel to redo, I was a bit upset. So I closed VW and reopened normally and there's the queue again. Whatever. I'm sure that isn't a bug, its a feature somehow :)