• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks turns points into stubs

rkguy

Hello all...I'm new here so hopefully I'm posting correctly.

I've designed a logo in Adobe Illustrator CS3 with hot rod style flames on it. On screen in Illustrator the flames have sharp points at the tips.
BUT
When I load the EPS or PDF file into Versaworks the points turn into squared off stubs and print that way.

Anyone know what's happening and how to fix or work around this?

Thanks
Ryan

Bill Modzel

Expand the paths and that will outline the strokes in Illy instead of leafing them as a stroke which Versa works seems to be misinterpreting.

rkguy

Expand the paths and that will outline the strokes in Illy instead of leafing them as a stroke which Versa works seems to be misinterpreting.

Thank Bill but unfortunately that won't work in this case because the flames have a 1/8" offset cutline around them that has to be white.
Normally if I was cutting right to the design I would bleed the outline/stroke over the cutline...but can't in this case.

Bill Modzel

Can you post a pic of the problem? I don't understand why an offset path
wouldn't give you your cutline. What am I missing?

rkguy

Can you post a pic of the problem? I don't understand why an offset path
wouldn't give you your cutline. What am I missing?

Here's an image that explains what's happening:
The image on the TOP is the screen shot from Illustrator showing all the pointed flames with the cut line in pink.
The image on the BOTTOM shows how it looks when it's loaded into versaworks and then printed.

Attachments

• stubby-flames.jpg
    stubby-flames.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 191

rkguy

Ok..I found a work-around.
The black line that Versaworks was stubbing...was a stroke.

So I had to do an offset and basically create 2 objects rather than one object that had a stroke.

Still doesn't explain why versaworks does what it does...since on screen in illustrator it looked fine. Plus you'll notice it only stubbed some of the flame tips and not all.

Rooster

I've seen the same thing occur in illy. I'm not sure it's all versawork's fault. It might be a combination or even a postscript issue.