• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaWorks upgrade to new Windows 10 computer

phototec

I have a Roland SP540V running VersaWorks 5.3.2 on a Windows 7 computer which is not being supported by Microsoft any longer and I want to upgrade to a Windows 10 computer, does anyone know if the VersaWorks 5.3.2 will work on Windows 10?

How hard is this going to be to switch over to the new computer, the only CD I have with the original VersaWorks software is very old, and I remember you had to set up an IP address and that was a bitch for me.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Jester

Slow is Fast
Versaworks 6.x is a free download from the RolandDGA website. Yes, you will have to setup the IP address of the printer, but that would be needed with any installation on a new PC.

phototec

Versaworks 6.x is a free download from the RolandDGA website. Yes, you will have to setup the IP address of the printer, but that would be needed with any installation on a new PC.

Does Versaworks 6 work with the older SP540V Printer-Cutter?

E Coloney

I have a dedicated box running Win 7 and Versaworks (an old version) and do NOT have them connected to the internet = no updates. It all works just fine and I don't need to break it. I use a thumb drive to transfer files from my "Corel" box to the print box. If the box fails, I'll address that at the time (getting close to retirement and that may be a good reason to hang it all up)

splizaat

Literally JUST went through this conversion (Windows 7 Pro) to Windows 10 Home. The conversion over was flawless and easy. We just went to roland's website and input our info/serial and downloaded the newest version from there.

****DO NOT FORGET TO EXPORT ALL YOUR PROFILES FROM VERSAWORKS!!!!!!*******

SIGN.DIVISION

I am running 5.5.1 VersaWorks with a VersaCamm VS-300 on W10. No problems.
I just upgraded to win 10 and installed VW 5.5.1, when I try to select add printer, it does nothing. I’ve added the ip and sub net. I’ve also pinged the printer and it was recognized. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I don't believe VersaWorks6 will work with SP540, unless they added support recently.
VersaWorks 5 works fine with Windows 10, and yes you will have to enter the IP address and Serial Number of the printer, if the network setup has not changed, you should be able to just copy down the IP from VersaWorks on the Windows 7 computer. If that doesn't work, you can find/change the IP in the printer settings.
If your original CD-ROM is no the latest version of VersaWorks 5, I don't think it will be able to be updated the traditional way, you will need someone to send you the latest copy.

• Agree
Reactions: spb

Kemik

I don't believe VersaWorks6 will work with SP540, unless they added support recently.
VersaWorks 5 works fine with Windows 10, and yes you will have to enter the IP address and Serial Number of the printer, if the network setup has not changed, you should be able to just copy down the IP from VersaWorks on the Windows 7 computer. If that doesn't work, you can find/change the IP in the printer settings.
If your original CD-ROM is no the latest version of VersaWorks 5, I don't think it will be able to be updated the traditional way, you will need someone to send you the latest copy.
Just realized the original post was from 2020! :confused:

phototec

Just realized the original post was from 2020! :confused:
No problem with the old post, I have not made the switch from Win 7 to Win 10 yet, I still need to do it because my old Dell PC running on Win 7 is starting to show signs of end of life.
You are correct VW 6 will not work with my Roland SP540V printer, although I purchased it back in 2010, I am a veteran owned home based business and don't use it everyday, it looks and prints like new. And at 75 years old, I am not planning to upgrade the printer. I recently changed the yellow/magenta print head which I can purchase for about $750, and it only take me about 4 hours to change out the printhead and damper and make all the tests/adjustments, so I can keep it going for as long as I need to.
printing-banner-copy-jpg.169162

Attachments

• PRINTING BANNER copy.jpg
    PRINTING BANNER copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 314

netsol

there is no reason inputting the existing IP address would not work.
regarding versaworks, i yield to those who are using it...

binki

I just upgraded to win 10 and installed VW 5.5.1, when I try to select add printer, it does nothing. I’ve added the ip and sub net. I’ve also pinged the printer and it was recognized. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?
How are you connected to the printer? I use a hard ethernet cable off of a pod on my mesh network.

WildWestDesigns

No problem with the old post, I have not made the switch from Win 7 to Win 10 yet, I still need to do it because my old Dell PC running on Win 7 is starting to show signs of end of life.

Depending on what your needs are and what resources that your next computer will have, if still needing to run legacy software, I would suggest going the Virtual Machine route. Setting up an IP address isn't any easier in a VM (and depending on what VM using, the process is unique passing through everything and keeping things on the LAN and not on the WAN (since the OS is EOL after all).

That just tends to be the method that I like to do if I have to retain a legacy system and don't want to have to deal with the upkeep of a physical version of said system.

Kemik

You are correct VW 6 will not work with my Roland SP540V printer, although I purchased it back in 2010, I am a veteran owned home based business and don't use it everyday, it looks and prints like new. And at 75 years old, I am not planning to upgrade the printer. I recently changed the yellow/magenta print head which I can purchase for about $750, and it only take me about 4 hours to change out the printhead and damper and make all the tests/adjustments, so I can keep it going for as long as I need to.

The SP540v was my first printer as well, I sold it to a friend of mine who still uses it today. I helped him move it to a Windows 11 PC a few months ago, there were no changes to the network so all I did was copy the IP from the old PC VersaWorks to the PC VersaWorks, and it worked fine. If for some reason it doesn't work, changing the IP on the SP540v is not all that difficult. Also, if you have issues, you can also just switch back to the old PC temporarily while you resolve the issues.

autoexebat

I have Vesaworks running on my W7 machine and W11 machine . I never installed the Roland updated software and it works fine.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I still run Windows 7 computers, so for that version of windows has been the best. I will continue using Windows 7 till the computer dies.

I believe I still have all the versions of Versa Works that came out including the Dual version they offered.

Last edited: