• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks vs. Roland Cut Studio

jeff412

I recently purchased a GX-640 to pair with my SP-540V. Curretly I use Versaworks. I print on the SP-540, then laminate, then cut on the GX-640. The problem is that the cut lines aren't exactly where they should be. I have gone through the calibrations on both machines and can't seem to get it to cut correctly. I've read that Cut Studio has some calibration options, but I don't have the program, since I purchased my cutter used. My question is; Which program is better and what type of cut calibration can be done with Cut Studio?

Jeff
stickertalk.com

WildWestDesigns

I recently purchased a GX-640 to pair with my SP-540V. Curretly I use Versaworks. I print on the SP-540, then laminate, then cut on the GX-640. The problem is that the cut lines aren't exactly where they should be. I have gone through the calibrations on both machines and can't seem to get it to cut correctly. I've read that Cut Studio has some calibration options, but I don't have the program, since I purchased my cutter used. My question is; Which program is better and what type of cut calibration can be done with Cut Studio?

Jeff
stickertalk.com

CutStudio is very very basic. I have no knowledge of versaworks, but I can't really imagine CutStudio being any better at calibration then that program. I don't have it on this computer, I'll try to get capture of it when I'm at the other computer.

Jack Knight1979

I use VW and Cut Studio.

I am not aware of any calibrations within Cut Studio. It is a basic program, but effective. I run across to scenarios when my cut paths are off.

1) The material should be adjusted to the far left side when using a full sheet. If it skews significantly to the right, the cut paths are shot. Even with a four point optical calibration.

2) If the tension on the laminator varies drastically when laminating. One part of the graphic will be stretched more than another part, causing cut path problems. (This is very rare. Maybe only happened twice in five years.)

Other than these two things. I run 150' rolls several times a week on my GX-500 with no problems. (Because of the weight I break them up into 75' rolls for cutting.)

WildWestDesigns

I went back through going over everything. I don't much use this program for print and cut applications, but about the only type of calibration that you can handle within this program is crop marks (which it produces 3 of them). That's about the only type of calibration that I can see for print/cut jobs. Which with the plugins for Ai/Corel you can do that via the plugins. That's all I was able to cut out of it, but like I said, I only use this (and not all the time) for cutting only (mainly applique shapes) and I can do that directly out of other programs.

jeff412

Ok. Thanks guys. Sounds like VW has more bells and whistles. I just can't figure out the calibration on this thing. I guess I'm going to have to call in an expert. The problem is they are 2 1/2 hours away, so I have to pay for 5 hours before they even look at it.

Jeff

visualeyez

Is it off left/right, or top/bottom, or both?

Left/Right alignment being off would be a misreading of the expected crop mark location, possibly caused by a dirty encoder strip.

Top/Bottom alignment being off would be caused by X-step calibration being needed, or possibly profile/media mismatch.

If both start off good, but stray from location as X,Y distance increase; you might be using too much knife force. This extra drag (knife trying to dig into cutting strip will slow the cut speed (and kill your blade) while the media moves at expected amounts, resulting the the top corner opposite of knife origin to be the least accurate.

EDIT, I thought you were cutting with the Roland. Why don't you just cut with the 540?

jeff412

Is it off left/right, or top/bottom, or both?

Left/Right alignment being off would be a misreading of the expected crop mark location, possibly caused by a dirty encoder strip.

Top/Bottom alignment being off would be caused by X-step calibration being needed, or possibly profile/media mismatch.

If both start off good, but stray from location as X,Y distance increase; you might be using too much knife force. This extra drag (knife trying to dig into cutting strip will slow the cut speed (and kill your blade) while the media moves at expected amounts, resulting the the top corner opposite of knife origin to be the least accurate.

EDIT, I thought you were cutting with the Roland. Why don't you just cut with the 540?

I keep the SP-540 printing all the time, so in order to keep production up I bought the GX-640 to cut after we laminate. That way the SP can continue to print.

Good News! I figured out the problem. I was using the auto crop mark calibration on the GX to set it up. This made the test cut perfect every time. However, the cut line of the print was actually off my 2 mm in the feed direction and 1 mm in the scan direction. I finally decided to try the manual calibration. Now it is finally cutting dead on. WooHoo! Thanks for everyone's help on this. I couldn't have gotten it fixed without you guys.

Jeff Chambliss
stickertalk.com

shuray

... I was using the auto crop mark calibration on the GX to set it up. This made the test cut perfect every time. However, the cut line of the print was actually off my 2 mm in the feed direction and 1 mm in the scan direction. I finally decided to try the manual calibration.

Hi Jeff!

I print on sc545 and bought the GX640 for exactly this purpose, let SC545 prints continuously.

Will you help me to know how to do auto and manual crop mark calibration?
My GX640 can't find the second crop mark, trying to find crop mark just 10 mm before it.
I print and cut through VersaWorks

Alex.

jeff412

Finding the crop marks wasn't my issue. It always found them, it just didn't cut in the correct spot. Send me an email and I'll share what I have.

Jeff
stickertalk.com