• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks/XR-640 IPS Monitor Calibration

prosigner

Hey guys,

I'm looking to calibrate the IPS monitor we bought for our XR-640 and we are therefore also using Versaworks (the latest version at the moment).

This is the monitor we are using;

http://us.ncix.com/products/?mode=productreviewread&product_id=69432

I have been looking around and have seen the Spyder4 and the xrite i1 (but that is discontinued). Can you guys make some recommendations to which is the best option to get our monitor properly calibrated in order to get our monitor colors more accurate because we are having to do a lot of testing on each print in order to get the colors we want.

Thanks in advance! :thankyou:

You are looking for a device that can generate ICC Profiles for both RGB display and CMYK printer-based profiles. That rules out the spyder, which can do only the former.

I would recommend the i1 Pro 2 device, packaged with the necessary software, called i1Profiler. Here is a link:
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1914

This product, i1 Publish Pro 2, can generate the CMYK-based reflective profiles needed by Versaworks, as well as emissive monitor profiles for your display.

prosigner

Hey Castek,

Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate it!

If we are not looking at spending 2k at the moment, would the spyder be a good alternative? Or should we just keep doing tests for our prints until we get the print we want?

We will consider that option for the future though, thanks for pointing that out.

Hey Castek,

Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate it!

If we are not looking at spending 2k at the moment, would the spyder be a good alternative? Or should we just keep doing tests for our prints until we get the print we want?

We will consider that option for the future though, thanks for pointing that out.

There are no viable alternatives (from a functionality standpoint, aside from used equipment) for under ~$6k that I am aware of.

I am continually amazed at the number of people who will happily plunk down around $29,995 (list price for the XR-640) but don't see the need to spend an additional 7 percent more to optimize their output quality.

Sorry, I don't mean that to criticize you personally, you are in line with 95 percent of the shops ;-) You can check ebay for used copies of i1Xtreme or i1Proof, which were older products that had similar functionality to i1PublishPro2.