• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Version 7 EPS

sid-fmx

Hi again, i was wondering if there is any way to open a version 7 EPS file in corel draw 10 or X3. I have a disc of eps files I need to open and get an I/O read Error. Thanks for any info.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You probably can if you manually select the Adobe Illustrator file type when opening in CorelDRAW instead of letting Corel automatically select the import filter it wants to use. If you still get the error, try again by manually selecting the Postscript Interpreted filter.

sid-fmx

Shoot, tired that and still I/O. The file opens in photoshop 7 but then i lose the vector part of it and doesnt show the cut outs on the particular file because they are all the same color. Under properties the file says eps version 7 or earlier, but the corel opens "some" other eps 7 files i have.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Properties is probably showing that because of your setup ... not the actual version of the file. Open the file in Wordpad and read the header at the top. It will telll you what version it is saved as and also what version created it.

OldPaint

in corel 10/x3, before you hit import......go to file type and select
EPS, PS PSN POSTSCRIPT then it will open properly.

sid-fmx

Properties is probably showing that because of your setup ... not the actual version of the file. Open the file in Wordpad and read the header at the top. It will telll you what version it is saved as and also what version created it.

Your right, it stated Flexisign-pro.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Have you got a small sample you wouldn't mind posting up?
I use X3 & it has problems opening some eps files exported out from CS2 & 3.
Mostly from the author not flattening some of the live effects before export.
I had to give in to the dark side and got a side grade to Illustrator CS3.
It was less than $200 & the time it has saved when getting files from designers who have no idea what they are doing made my $200 back the first time I used it.
So I have both and can take a look at a sample to try and see what is hanging X3.

wayne k
guam usa

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I can only tell you that many applications, including Flexi, export quirky EPS files. One issue with Flexi is that it will include both RGB and CMYK in the same file which Illustrator does not support. As a publisher of clipart I find it necessary to always open and resave using Adobe Illustrator to get my EPS files to a standard that is truly universal for all applications supporting EPS to be able to open 100% of the time.

sid-fmx

The files do open in photoshop, but not in illustrator, or corel. But when i open them in photoshop they are not vector.

sid-fmx

Have you got a small sample you wouldn't mind posting up?
I use X3 & it has problems opening some eps files exported out from CS2 & 3.
Mostly from the author not flattening some of the live effects before export.
I had to give in to the dark side and got a side grade to Illustrator CS3.
It was less than $200 & the time it has saved when getting files from designers who have no idea what they are doing made my $200 back the first time I used it.
So I have both and can take a look at a sample to try and see what is hanging X3.

wayne k
guam usa

I can post a sample but all it is a template for a motorcycle. Im really losing my hair on this one.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I can post a sample but all it is a template for a motorcycle. Im really losing my hair on this one.

Mine's already gone - lets see
Send me a pm if you don't want to put it up on the open forum.

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Fred nailed it (once again).
The file contains both rgb & cymk color spaces.
Corel won't open it.
AI CS3 will open it and warn that it has to convert everything to one colorspace.
Flexi 7.6 will open it without protest.

Funny part: the object that is causing the problem is the author's little rgb bitmap signature that is not even part of the clipart graphic. Everything else is cymk

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
guilty party:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%Creator: FlexiSIGN-PRO
%%Title: Kawasaki_60_85-04.eps

(from the header when the eps is opened with wordpad)

sid-fmx

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea how long i have been trying to open this. I really have to upgrade my illustrator after this.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!:thumb: