• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Vertical Banding on FB500

We have been noticing a vertical banding on our printing lately on our HP FB500. Specifically on large darker colored sections. (see attached photos)
We have tried re-leveling the printer (at the advice of an HP tech)
we have tried checking the belt fans and cleaning the belt thinking its not holding down the sub-straight on that side. The banding only seems to happen on the user side of the prints.
I'm still learning these printers and it would be a great help if anyone has had this issue and how they resolved it.

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_6210.JPG
    IMG_6210.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 576
  • IMG_6213.JPG
    IMG_6213.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 393

DerbyCitySignGuy

Looks like a starvation issue. Not super familiar with the FB500, but my guess is the subtank can't fill quickly enough and by the time it gets to the end of the media, the head isn't getting enough ink from the subtank.

flyplainsdrifta

check your rail strips for wear on that side. ive heard of people wearing user side down a bit faster on smaller one off stuff if thats all theyre doing. also see if you can feel around your carraige wheels for binding or flat spots.

Starting to lean on the side of the belt. there are some rough patches on the back of the belt and seemed kinda loose. Tightened the belt, seems like its improved but we are looking at the pulleys on the ends now. hard to tell but look like they might have a little wobble to them and can see the belt raising and lowering ever so slightly as it tracks.

CharlieA

We have been noticing a vertical banding on our printing lately on our HP FB500. Specifically on large darker colored sections. (see attached photos)
We have tried re-leveling the printer (at the advice of an HP tech)
we have tried checking the belt fans and cleaning the belt thinking its not holding down the sub-straight on that side. The banding only seems to happen on the user side of the prints.
I'm still learning these printers and it would be a great help if anyone has had this issue and how they resolved it.

Charles
Not possible. We had HP out for the same thing for 5 weeks and i came down to don't use tertiary colors like dark blues or that will happen says HP. It's in their user manuel on p215 for the 365. the 500 series is the same. We also had another shop try to print PMS 534 and they came out with vertical banding on different machines than the HP. Nature of the beast evidently.

Attachments

• 20191031_102838.jpg
    20191031_102838.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 221
  • 20191031_102842.jpg
    20191031_102842.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 198

greysquirrel

usually caused by vibration across the rail with these printers. the 700/750 are worse because they are wider. Things to check scan axis motor could have black dust building up inside from bushings wearing down...easy to check. Carriage rail could be dirty or not oiled...too obvious for it to be this issue, the bearings in the trolley could be an issue, your carriage head alignments may not be accurately calibrated, usually part of the issue. You need a tech that knows what they are doing to fix this, carriage height could be off from a head strike.
If its vibration down the rail, you can get by manually moving carriage...go buy some dynomat and cover the back edge of the rail...it will absorb the vibration. The 550/750 also had a small addition...that you can buy and install...there is a bracket (user side) that holds the scan axis motor. On newer models they took a piece of 2mm disband and covered both sides with dynomat....then mounted it between that bracket and the carriage rail....

Not possible. We had HP out for the same thing for 5 weeks and i came down to don't use tertiary colors like dark blues or that will happen says HP. It's in their user manuel on p215 for the 365. the 500 series is the same. We also had another shop try to print PMS 534 and they came out with vertical banding on different machines than the HP. Nature of the beast evidently.

What specific manual are you referring to because we are looking in our pdf manuals not seeing anything regarding that. can you upload the one your looking at?